Got my first gun today!!!

mcd_sports

I got my first gun today. I picked up a used Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm at The Fort Worth Gun Show. From what I have been researching, I think I got a pretty good deal. I paid $399 for it with XS Big Dot sights. Not sure how I feel about the sights yet. I took it to the range and shot consistently low. After I got home I looked online and I was not "dotting the I" when I was shooting.
Did I do pretty good? If I didn't see the original receipt from 2006 when a previous owner bought it, I would have guessed this was new. Has 2 new looking mags, the three back straps in excellent condition, and it obviously was never carried. Good deal?

RBid

Great buy!

You may find that you start hitting point of aim as you get used to it. It may just be flinch that's causing you to print low.

BRE346

I agree w iBid. That is a good gun and a good price and I'll bet you'll get better abd better as you practice.

Enjoy your new tool/toy/weapon.

'88Scrat

You did good. A buddy of mine bought one in .40 a few years back. He paid around $700 (after taxes) for one NIB.

Congrats on your purchase!
Now take it to the range and get aquainted :D

cetanner

Sounds like you did great. It is a good gun and the 9mm will make shooting less expensive. Repetition is the key. Shoot often and regularly.

Burner

I think you made a very intelligent choice. Pistols and revolvers are the hardest firearms to develop a very high level of proficiency with - so in my opinion they are the best to start and practice on. Polymer pistols are a great choice because maintenance requirements are pretty low. S&W even has the .22 so you can train with the same platform on the cheap.

Yeah, you did well rookie. Also, good job checking to see if it was shooter error. Having a low point of impact is usually shooter induced.

5RWill

Hell of a deal. 400$ for a good conditioned M&P is great. I'd love to pick up a M&P9 or M&P45 at that price.

mcd_sports

Thanks all. I'm pretty excited and happy to know that everyone thinks it was a good deal. I was really surprised to find it at that price. I had been looking for a 5906 for a little less, but the ones I found were more money and in iffy shape.
Hope to put another 100 or so rounds through it soon and see if my new knowledge of the XS Sights improves my accuracy.
Maybe I'll post a pic tomorrow.

5RWill

If your not reloading the federal champion value 100rd packs of 9mm are 20$ i believe, also freedom munitions makes some well priced ammo.

mcd_sports

Kreyz - I'm looking forward to the next one already. Thinking about a revolver (I really loved a 4" GP100 I shot a while back) or something smaller for eventual CC.

If I did it right.. here are pics of my new baby.

McDGun1.jpg

McDGun2.jpg

Last edited:

jmhyer

Great deal on a great gun! This is my every day carry and it's never, ever failed to eat anything and everything I've tried in it.

I'm sure it won't be your last purchase, but it COULD be. Whatever you do, don't trade it. If you want something else, save up and pay cash for it and keep the M&P. Really, for range work, carry, or competition you can't do much better, in my opinion.