Got Lead?

bigautomatic

Getting ready to load some lead bullets for the first time. I've been reloading jacketed bullets for a while now, and just recieved my 360gr WFN GC for 454C and 460S&W Magnum. They are the LBTs from CPB. Got load data straight from Hodgdon's site, but wanted to ask about any do's or dont's about loading lead from some folks with some experience. I guess the thing I am most concerned about is overcrimping or undercrimping.

Seto_Muuvari

I have never loaded anything that hot, but I load lead in my .44 Mag. It's all I shoot. I make my bullets with wheel weights, and don't add anything more from there. That being said, just make sure you bell the case mouth so you don't shave off any of the lead. You are using gas checks so it makes it easier. Then I use a heavy crimp on my .44's to keep them in place. I do both the seating and the crimping in two stages, even though I only have one RCBS die. Maybe something you can keep in mind.

I don't know what your using for powder, but keep in mind that you can't push the lead as fast as you can the jacket's.

With that said, I leave you to your loading.
Oh! Almost forgot. Lube is your best friend. If you are getting some lead buildup in your barrel try a different lube, or buy a small thing of something like Lee Liquid Alox and poor it over your bullets. It might help. Either that or you are shootin them WAY too fast.

Happy huntin!

gary2905

As Seto said, it depends how fast you push them .
Asso, what is the hardness of the bullet.
I mostly use lead with a Brinell # of 19 to 21 and keep the leading down by keeping the velocity under 950 fps and using a good lube. Alox is fine.

Load some up, shoot 'em over your chronograph and see what the barrel tells you.

bigautomatic

Thanks guys. I'll be using H110 powder. The bullets have a Brinnel hardness of 18-21 and are prelubed. I just checked out the Cast Performance Bullet Company website and they are claiming some way fast speeds with no leading of the barrel (I unfortunately don't own a chrono). I also did a search at gunblast.com, and they claim velocities of 1,400 fps with no leading in a 44 mag revolver. These will be hunting loads for me, so the barrel shouldn't see ridiculous speeds too much besides working up the loads. I'll take them up slow and easy, especially in the 460 with the scary high pressures.

Plastic Cowboy

I've been using the 370gr and 440gr CPB hard cast LSWGC for my 500 S&W with load data from Hogdon's website.
Excellent Quality!!

I have been using a pretty stout load with these bullets, about 1 grain below max with Lil'Gun and have experienced slight leading in the barrel of my full size X-frame revolver.
I was able to remove most of the lead with a few patches soaked in Hoppes #9. I will try a more aggressive solvent in the future to get what remains of the lead but regardless- the barrel leading was not that bad considering well over 1900fps for the 370gr bullet!!

By the way, with the Hornady 500 gr partially jacketed bullets @ 1425 fps I noticed some copper fouling in the barrel but this revolver is brand new and I suspect the fouling (both lead and copper) will decrease as the inside surface of the barrel smooths out from use.

Scott5

Got lead

Got leading in barrel that is?
Hey Bigautomatic, I shoot lead bullets in 357 mag out of a Ruger BH and a Dan Wesson and I used to get leading until I coated my bullets with MICA.

MICA is a dry powder lubricant and mildly abrasive.
I shot about 500 mild loads through my guns, even my 9MM's.
Now I shoot lead as fast as jacketed with no leading.:D

Happy shooting
Scott5

bigautomatic

Well, I got to fire a few of my reloads and saw no leading with the exception of the warmer ones. Started to see lead in the bore at 1 grain below max. I thought this to be extremely good, considering the speeds are right around 1,800 fps according to Hodgdon's data. I highly recomend the gas checked Cast Performance Bullets for high speed loads. Recoil was quite noticibly heavier with the 360 grainers (still managable) , but then again, they are 160 grains heavier than the Hornady factory loads. On a side note, muzzle flash was reduced with the heavier bullets.

Scott5- Can you tell me more about the MICA? If you don't see this post, maybe I can find it at Midway or someplace. Also, I found a lead remover that works very well. The brand name is Shooters Choice. I tried the Hoppes that has always worked well for removing copper fouling, but was taking a lot of elbow grease with the bore brush to make any progress. Two sessions with the Shooter's Choice and the lead was pretty much gone.

All in all I'm very happy with my first lead loads. But I must say that the hair still stands up on my neck every time I look at the pressures on the data page!

clayking

I've also had good luck with the Shooter Choice, in addition I also use the lead remover and polishing cloth wrapped around the bore brush. I also used lubed bullets and my leading problems have been practically nil..................ck