Got any photos of decomposing smokeless powder?

Elkins45

I have 10 pounds of IMR 4831 in one pound cans and I'm afraid it's going bad. I can't really smell the terrible smell everyone tells me it's supposed to have, (it hardly smells at all) but it does look a bit 'rusty' compared to what I know it should look like. I've never seen 'bad' powder before, so I'm not sure if this is just a minor lot difference or if it's starting to go bad.

I did a Google image search and all I could find was a can that was rusted completely through. I would like to see a photo of what bad stick powder looks like---but I'm pretty confident that even if I don't see one I'm afraid to shoot any of this stuff.

If I get a chance I'll take a photo of it.

GP100man

Pour some on an appropriate surface & light it with a long match it should just fizz ,if it goes poof it`s fertilizer !!!

But color is a judgement call , if in doubt ,I smell it with the snout , if it smells like ammonia or soured urine I throw it out !!!

Roses likes nitrocelliose !!!

AlaskaMike

I had some IMR 4350 that my dad bought in the early 1980s that I'm pretty sure went bad. To me it smelled very close to the fresh H4350 I bought, but when I poured a small amount on a sheet of paper, the reddish powder on the granules was much more apparent.

jepp2

but it does look a bit 'rusty' compared to what I know it should look

I have IMR powder from the 60's that is still just fine. The inside of the cans have rusted some, but you can still smell the solvent smell, and no red dust present. It always has been stored properly.