Got a twisted idea the other day...

I love doing CAS, so I love my lever guns...

got to thinking about a fun / taki cool lever gun, for range fun use only... something magazine fed, & maybe even something with extended magazines...

a couple of rifles that came to mind were the Ruger Lever guns that used the rotary magazine... the 22 I know could use extended magazines... the 44 would be more fun, but I don't know if I've ever seen an extended magazine for the 44's ( errr... for that matter, even the 22 Mag, or 22 Hornet either ??? those were bolt actions with the rotary design )

any other lever gun, mag fed rifles you know of, that I forgot about ???

anyone ever made extended mags for the Ruger rotarys, other than the 22's ???

big al hunter

Savage 99 has a rotary style mag. Any lever in 44 cal will require you to design and build your own hi cap mag. I am envisioning a drum mag, 50 rds or so. But that would be hard to do with the rimmed cartridges. Maybe a 44 automag chamber would make it easier, rimless is simpler to make straight hi cap mags for. Or just a 20 rd banana mag. Make a sheet metal body and modify a spring from an sks or AK47 magazine.

Sako is interesting, I'd never seen one, & looked them up on Gun Broker... pretty expensive, but the 2 they had on line, were in .243 & .308, both were mag fed... no idea in extra mags are easily available, or if there are already higher capacity mags out there, or how hard it would be to alter the rifle to take an existing mag...

they are pretty spendy...

don't know how well my muscle memory would serve me on a rifle that the trigger mechanism moves with the lever... but I think the Ruger design is similar

Molasses

Savage 99 has a rotary style mag.

Except for the variants with a detachable box magazine... It's the "seam" at the bottom edge of the receiver in the photo below and the release button is also visible on the side of the receiver.

The BLR has the external hammer thing going for it, OTOH, the Savage's trigger stays put on the rifle when working the lever. Here's a BLR-81 and a 99C, both in .308, both DBM:

If you're going to give the Finnwolf serious consideration, then might as well look into the Model 88 Winchester, too. Hey, MWM, if you want to handle a Finnwolf, PM me and I'll give you contact info for a shop in central MN that has a re-stocked example for sale.

------------------------------------------------------

How about Marlin's old model 62 Levermatic? If it were possible to convert one chambered in .30 carbine to take M1 carbine magazines...

Ricklin

RUins the design

In my mind a mag hanging out of a lever action rifle or carbine is directly opposed to the design.
Handy and quick come immediately to mind when I think about a lever action. The word clunky nicely describes a long magazine hanging out of it.

The SKS (granted not a lever action) comes to mind. It's a nice handy little carbine, until you hang a 20 or 30 round mag on it.

thanks for the offer... I have to finish off paying for my J.OC Winchester, before I get serious on another rifle... I like to research & think about things for a while... so it'll realistically be a next years purchase

I used to have an old Savage 99 in .308, I didn't realize they were making them with a detachable magazine... mine was integral & had the cartridge counter on the side of the receiver

RICKLIN... yes... I think you're right... but I have several handy light "traditional" lever guns... I may never purchase what we are talking about here, but I'm just thinking, & discussing what is available...

I already have the muscle memory from cycling my CAS guns, just thinking about something "different" for a range toy... I'm sure 22 LR ammo will loosen up sooner or later, but I hate to buy a rifle, while I can't get ammo for it... been thinking about a 22 lever, as I don't own one yet... & while I am thinking about a changeable magazine, I wasn't really thinking about anything "high capacity"... like that SKS ( yes, I have a very nice accurized SKS that used to wear those clunky duck bill extended magazines, & I've gone back to the original factory 10 round box )... I think a changeable 10 round magazine would be nice on a center fire ( so long as it doesn't protrude too far )... & the Ruger 22 would be fun, if it takes the same mags as my 10-22... & maybe some days, use the 25's but I'd think most days the 10 rounders would be fine...

BTW... I have some brass tubes, & have been thinking about improving on the design of some of the tube magazine "speed loaders" that are out there, to make them more practical for use in my "traditional" lever guns :)