Got a trip to plan

mxsailor803

Well next year, my dad and I got invited to go to my buddies place in Oregon to do a little Elk hunting. We are wanting to do something a little different though. We would like to take a Elk with handguns. We'll both be using .44mags (629 and SBH) and I'm a reloader but never hunted for game that large. I'm use to using bullets in the 240gr range for hunting loads and I'm looking for opinions on if a 240 (with proper selection) is even capable of bringing down a Elk. I personally don't see a issue with the 240gr as long as proper shot placement is key. Has anyone on here ever tired this? I mean people kill them with a bow, so why not a handgun?

FrankenMauser

240s should work, but you'll want a fairly tough bullet. In the 240 gr weight class, bullets like XTPs and Remington JHPs/JSPs expand too quickly, and I wouldn't trust them. (The Remington bullets, in particular, are bad, bad, bad. I have varmint bullets that are tougher.)

For Elk with a handgun, I prefer a wide flat nose bullet that can penetrate, over almost any kind of expanding bullet.

There many commercial cast bullets out there, that would work well (if you reload). One of them would probably be my choice.
If you don't want a cast bullet, the Nosler Partition (now the "Sporting Handgun - Revolver), Speer DeepCurl, and, surprisingly, the Sierra Tournament Master (220/250 gr) are good choices.

If you don't reload... I'd probably be looking at loads from Buffalo Bore, HSM, Cor-Bon, Double Tap, Grizzly, etc. Or, even this Federal load (haven't seen it before this year, but it's quite close to what I carry): 300 Grain CastCore Flat Point.
If you look around, you may notice that the majority of .44 Mag hunting ammunition is loaded with hard cast, wide flat nose bullets, in the 270-320 gr weight range. 240s can work, but most people prefer something a little heavier and trade expansion for the wide flat nose.

When carrying my .44 Mag (7.5" SBH) on Elk hunts, it's loaded with lead 310 gr WFN bullets (at a moderate hardness of ~BHN 12) at what should be 1,150-1,200 fps (not yet verified).

Do yourself a favor, though. Double check with the friend in Oregon, and make sure you'll actually be hunting in an area where most shots are at appropriate ranges for a handgun. It wouldn't be much fun to get out there with just your handguns, only to find out that the average shot is 200-400 yards in that area. (Don't count on the rut letting you bring them in close, either. The rut can be stopped by weather, and take a few weeks to restart ... after the season has ended.)

Last edited:

mxsailor803

I was kinda thinking on the same lines as not using a JSP/JHP. Do you think a Barnes 300gr Buster would be a better choice? I primarily use the Nosler Sporting JHP 240gr for east coast deer and figured I would need something with more penetration. Never used cast on any game animal, always had too soft of lead. I'm open to suggestions on any cast or jacketed bullet that I can go ahead and see how our rigs react to them. Kinda why I'm planning about a year out lol. Just saw that Midway has a Speer DeepCurl 270gr JSP, opinions? I just finished talking with my buddy and he said there is a good chance to get within a comfortable handgun distance (inside 75 yrds). gonna take a rifle just in case as well.

FrankenMauser

It sounds like you're planning on reloading. Is that correct?
If so, I'll have some cast bullet recommendations, later.

The 270 Deep Curl is a good bullet, from what I have seen. It is, however, a "compromise" bullet. It was designed to be used in both .44 Mag and .444 Marlin. So, it doesn't expand significantly at handgun velocities (~0.500-0.600"), but tends to expand substantially (0.700-.900"+) at rifle velocities Some people like that fact. Some people hate it.

I would be comfortable with it. I even have a box in my reloading room. But, since I load both .44 Mag and .444 Marlin, I've had a hard time deciding which cartridge I should stick them in. ;)

Edit: Removed my comments on the Buster. I had it mixed up with the XPB, in my head. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Because I like their products, I'd be considering the Barnes bullets for sure. The XPB is certainly interesting. Specifically listed as designed for big game up to moose.

Kimbercommander

I killed a cow elk with a .41 mag shooting corbon 250 grain hard cast. Shot her at about 100 yards in the heart lung area and one shot was all that was needed. Seems the 44 would have the same results. What part of Oregon are you going to be hunting? I might be able to assist you if needed. I grew up in eastern Oregon. Hunted most of the state for that matter however.

mxsailor803

Yes I'm a reloader. So I'm open to many options. We'll be staying in Scapoose (sp?) and heading east. I'm not familiar with that area enough to give you a exact location. Be my first trip there. I was thinking about trying the Barnes XPB as well. At least on how I like it for east coast deer/hogs. Thanks for inputs guys.

FrankenMauser

My choice of cast bullet (if I didn't cast my own) would be the Bear Tooth Bullets 300 gr WFN-GC (details), or the Rim Rock Bullets 305 gr LBT-WFN-GC.

Due to the extra cost and lack of sizing options, I would not make Rim Rock my first choice; but they do have a reputation as good as Bear Tooth's.

If you don't want as much of a rainbow trajectory, one of Bear Tooth's lighter offerings wouldn't be a bad choice, either.

I know the pricing is painful, but the bullets are heat-treated (BHN 21), gas checked, and high quality.

sc928porsche

255gr Keith cast from linotype. Mold is available from RCBS. Bullet is gas checked. Suggest Win 296 for powder with mag primers.