Got a S&W 3953..now the questions?

Eric Larsen

I nabbed a NIB 3953 with nights NIB, sitting in a safe from its birth in 94. How does this gun differ from a new "Tactical" ?
What is the easiest, safest and best way to reduce trigger pull weight by just a hair...? Its DAO...I dont want a 2.5 # trigger...just a little improvement....how would you all rate this gun overall? Please help and thanks for any and all responses.
Shoot well

Patrick Murphy

You have purchased a very high quality handgun. The 3953 is an excellent 9MM. I am a big fan of S&W's 3rd. Generation DAOs. I used to have a 5943 with three 15 rd. mags. It is the only gun I have sold that I wish I had kept. I prefer other calibers, but that was a great pistol. I recently (about a week ago) purchased a NIB 4044. This is blue version of the 4043 and made from 1991 - 1993 only, or so I have been told.

My limited experience indicates that guns like the two we own have much better triggers than the ones of the new Tactical series. Those DAOs seem to have trigger pulls similar to the double action trigger of the DA/SA traditional DA style. The early 90s DAOs have shorter, lighter strokes.

I don't know what can be done to lighten the trigger. I don't plan to do anything to mine, which is just about perfect to my way of thinking. Just think of it as shooting a double-action revolver with a VERY nice trigger. If you point shoot, you will be particularly pleased.