Got a Ruger 77/357

Deja vu

My son asked me for my Marlin in 357 magnum for graduation. So have been looking for a new rifle in 357 magnum. I finally settled on the Ruger bolt action. The reason I chose this gun is 3 reasons. I have been really into suppressors lately.

1. ability to use pointed bullets. I have a mold for NEI handtools 359-125-GC it is a hard cast/gas checked bullet that is pointy for better long range ballistics. Cant use those in a tube mag.

2. Faster twist rate for heavier bullets I was looking at a puma but found it had a 1 in 30 twist. The Ruger has a 1 in 16

3. Easier mounting of a suppressor. I Have suppressed a lever action and a bolt action is much easier to thread.

any one have any experience with these? I am wondering how they shoot since it will be several days till I can test mine.

Last edited:

Eazyeach

Got 1 yesterday.

I've only shot like 40 rds. 35 of those were .38sp and the rest .357 mag. Pretty accurate at my 50 yd target. Doesn't feed flat nose bullets that great but other than that its pretty sweet. Enjoy!!

AK103K

Mine liked 125 grain JHP's the best.

Didnt like 158 grain LSWC's at all.

.38's will rimlock in the mag, often enough to be annoying. .357's arent an issue.

If you mount a scope, the bolt handle gets a little cramped at full extension.

Stock fits a lot better, and shoulders more naturally if you fit a butt plate to it. I dont understand why they went with a recoil pad.

2ndamd

Congratulations!

I have been thinking of getting one of these as well.

Let us know how it shoots for ya?

THebear_78

I have one of the 77/44 and have been very impressed with it. I'm sure it will work great for you too. Screw a can on the end and run light 38 special loads it should be very quiet and a lot of fun!

mxsailor803

I've been debating on which of the 77's to get. I already reload for .357 and .44mag, so ammo is not that big of deal. My wife and I would be the only ones shooting it. She can handle the .44mag without a issue. Even a very stiff 300gr XTP with a healthy charge of 4227 pushing it. Ah heck!!! I just need to get both!!!

Husqvarna

I still can't understand why they don't make LH models of either the 44 or 357

they offer plenty of other models in LH config

Snyper

There's not enough demand to justify the costs

It's hard enough to sell a left handed Ruger in a standard deer cartridge

NINEX19

Congratulations!
That is a super fun rifle.
Extra Magazines are a bit pricey, though.
I know I read various complaints about .38 special and certain bullet profiles not feeding well, but I have to say that I have not had any real issues with mine in all the variety I have tried. I guess you will just have to experiment with your to see what will and will not work to your satisfaction.

dieselbeef

me and my 9 yr old shot ours this weekend. since I fixed the feed... ejection problems that gun is awesome. I put a Bushnell trophy on it and after shimming the bolt it clears the scope easy.
man what a fun gun to shoot. smooth.
easy..100 yd 2''groups using 158gr jhp 5 shots to sight it in..man what a good time
my boy said it kicked a bit too much for him but it was fine by me