Got A Question About My Ccw Choice

DBOUNCE1

I'm going to be getting a handgun for CCW within the next week i'm a little guy (130lbs, and just 5'9") someone tell me a good all around choice for around $350ish or less please

azredhawk44

Good snubby that packs a solid punch is a Ruger SP101. They run about $350-400 NIB, or about $300 used. I don't see them used very often.

357magnum has a tendency to end confrontation quickly. You can look at an auto and chase the "9mm vs 45acp" horse until the end of time, or you can get a 357magnum wheelgun and get a heavy projectile that penetrates very well thru almost any medium.

The sp101 beats other smith/taurus snubby platforms for me due to how heavy it is. It is light enough to wear IWB conveniently, but it is much heavier than a 642 or something of that sort. It controls a 357magnum very efficiently, and is dead-on accurate with 158gr ammunition.

The good thing about snubbies over smaller autos is that snubbies could care less if they are covered in pocket lint and haven't been oiled in a month. They'll still save your bacon. What they lack in capacity they make up for in reliability.

Good luck in whatever decision you do make, however.

DerDer

A few options...

First I would stick closer to the $350 range as this will allow you to save more money for ammo and range visits plus a POSSIBLE CCW certification. I have a similiar build 5'7" 140 lbs so I will recommend a few choices.

Any 5 or 6 shot 38 special or 357 magnum- A bit antiquated but reliable and can be used at point blank range. Can also be used as a club (See Goodfellas). Revolvers also have more character and are more pleasing to the eye. I would recommend stainless steel.

The Bersa THUnder .380- Reliable semi-auto with a decent magazine. High quality too for the price. Cost about $250 total. Check out the rest of the Bersa line.

$350 can buy a decent pistol. It can be a Llama, Bersa, Smith & Wesson, etc... Check out http://www.gunbroker.com and choose your dreampiece for $3500.

DBOUNCE1

Thanks for alll the help and links guys i forgot to mention that i would like to stick with an auto if possible thanks

Jkwas

Taurus pt111 mil pro for an auto, and the Taurus snub(either 605 for 357, or 85 for 38spl) in stainless for revolver. I have both, and they are excellent guns and both available for less than $325 out the door. I bought the pt111 for my wife, and I like it so much I may have to get another for myself. I can't pry it away from her.

Patriot45

Choices

Consider a S&W Model 642 38spcl +P. It is ultralight and very small. You might also consider a Kel-Tec (9mm or .380). Lastly, the Rugers SP101 and P345 are reasonably priced. Good luck man and let us know what you bought!

Jayb

No disrespect to anyone or any firearm..... but.....

My suggestion would be that you avoid making any choice as to brand, size, or caliber, until you have been to several gun shops, or gun shows and handled everything you can get your hands on. More than likely, just a small percantage of those firearms you handle, will "feel right" in your hands. Remember those, and begin your selection process there. If you buy something that isn't comfortable or doesn't "feel right" you won't enjoy shooting it, therefore you'll never become proficient with it, therefore you've wasted your time, and will take a loss to sell that firearm.

CALIBER DOESN'T COUNT........ the best carry gun is the one you are proficient with. A well placed shot from a .22 beats a miss with a .45.

Just my opinion, and I ain't changing my mind. I'm old, and it takes me long enough to make up my mind as it is. :D

dirksterg30

My suggestion would be that you avoid making any choice as to brand, size, or caliber, until you have been to several gun shops, or gun shows and handled everything you can get your hands on. More than likely, just a small percantage of those firearms you handle, will "feel right" in your hands. Remember those, and begin your selection process there. If you buy something that isn't comfortable or doesn't "feel right" you won't enjoy shooting it, therefore you'll never become proficient with it, therefore you've wasted your time, and will take a loss to sell that firearm.

I agree - you should view the suggestions here as a starting point, but definately try out as many guns as you can; rent & shoot them if possible, otherwise handle them at the gun shop: work the slide, try the controls (slide stop, mag release, safety/decocker, etc.) and make sure that the controls are easy for you to reach, and that the gun fits your hand.

Don't be afraid to take a few weeks, or a few months to find the gun that is right for you.

Something else to consider - how do you plan to conceal the gun - IWB/OWB, pocket holster, etc. This will have some bearing on what size gun you choose.
Also keep in mind that you will possibly have to make concessions as far as your clothing is concerned in order to conceal the pistol you select, and be sure you spend some money on a good holster & gun belt if you opt for IWB/OWB carry.

I don't want to overwhelm you too much info, but some of this I learned the hard way, after spending money on a gun that didn't work so well for me, and selling that gun to buy a new gun along with a new holster and a quality gun belt.

Hiker2

Hi Debounce. No offense meant but you need to take a bit more than a week to learn what's the right piece for you. As the last few responses suggested, take the time to learn about the calibers, modes of carry, & ergonomics of different guns. Hey, a year from now you want to look back & smile that you bought the perfect gun! A lot of guys that jump in too quick look back in 2 months and own a gun they don't like, can't shoot, etc. Do it right the first time eh?

Start by shooting as many guns/calibers you can. Ideally, try to shoot a .38, .357, 9mm, .40 S&W, & .45acp. If you have friends that shoot ask 'em to take you along. Otherwise get the phone book out, call every range/gun shop & ask if they have a familiarization class that lets you shoot different guns. That kind of class can be cheaper than renting each of those guns. If nothing else, go to the range and start renting handguns. Talk to the range guys, they'll help you out. As you shoot those guns, do some searches here & on other boards to learn about the relative merits of different calibers.

Secondly, devote Saturdays to visiting gun shops. Go to every one in your area. Look at every brand they carry. Ask about the merits of each (but don't take anyone's advice as "gospel" . . .including mine!) And keep asking questions here along the way. The point is, you gotta learn for yourself. Look at it this way - It's hard to wait but take your time and you'll be glad you spent your $350 where you did. Jump too quick & it will cost you more $$ & time in the long run after you sell the first gun (maybe at a loss,) save more $$, and eventually buy the right piece later.

Finally, if you just can't wait. Buy a used .22 pistol so you'll have something to go plinking at the range while you learn what you ultimately want. Hey, a .22 is great practice to learn proper grip, sight picture, trigger control. It's not a bad way to start. sorry for the long post, hope there's something in it for you.
Hiker

'75Scout

I really like the Ruger SP101 although I have never fired one. The feel like they could take any magnum load you feed through them and the extra little bit of heft over S&W or Taurus will help soak up recoil. A 2 or 3" SP101 is on my list of future purchases.

DBOUNCE1

are you really calling that good advice??? I can just go to the gun shop and find something that's good looking but i want something that makes sence i'm a little guy with little girl hands and skinny as hell so i want something easily concealable(sp) in an auto.

DBOUNCE1

Any of you guys know anything about the baby eagles?

A gun show this weekend was the first time i saw one in person and i kinda liked that but i know NOTHING about them someone please FILL ME IN