Got a new SIG 1911 Traditional Compact yesterday - range report and pics

WC145

Picked up my new SIG 1911 Traditional Compact today. Bought it off Gunbroker Wednesday from Osage County Guns in MO. The total price with shipping, 3% for credit card, and transfer fee at my FFL was $892.73. It's an early gun (as are all at this point), number 206.

First impression out of the box - the finishing is a bit rougher than I expected. The slide/frame fit is very good but there's marks and rough areas here and there - on the barrel bushing, the under the cuts on the front of the slide, the grip safety, slide stop, plug for extractor hole. I don't know about other parts but the last three listed are obviously MIM. None of this is horrid but it is noticeable, looks like a good bead blasting would clean it all up and make it look much better, IMO an $1100 (MSRP) gun should look better. Hell, a $900 (what I paid) gun should look better. For the record, I'm comparing it to the other 1911s I have that I carry/shoot the most - Springfield parkerized Loaded .45acp (duty gun), S&W 9mm 1911 Pro Series (former duty gun), Fusion 9mm CCO (off duty gun that the SIG is replacing). Obviously the S&W and Fusion are more expensive than the SIG but the S.A. is in the same price range and is better finished by far.

I have to comment on the thumb safety. It is nicely fitted, not too tight but clicks on and off positively and smoothly. I like the look and the feel of it. It is, however, rather short and narrow compared to the extended safeties you see on so many guns these days. It isn't as tiny as an old GI style but folks that ride the safety when shooting might have a little trouble with it. I don't shoot that way so it isn't an issue for me.

It is a true CCO size gun - Commander barrel/slide and Officer frame, which I think makes the perfect 1911 for carry. It feels very good in the hand, the checkering is nice and it has the right "heft". It weighs 33.6oz empty (no mag) and 41.7oz loaded with 8 Ranger T 230gr JHP. Compare that with my full size Loaded at 38.2oz empty (no mag) and 47.5oz loaded with 9 of the same rounds. That makes it about 1/2lb heavier than my alloy framed Fusion CCO but the real world difference is not excessive or noticeable on your hip. With a good belt and holster it carries much more comfortably than a full size steel 1911.

Here's some pics, I didn't focus on anything particular, just got some shots to give an overall impression.
SDC11542.JPG

Comes with two 7rd stainless mags
SDC11543.JPG

SDC11544.JPG

Everything is well put together, you can see the slide/frame fit here. Also the checkering in the MSH and the front strap is very well done. Also, the Trijicon night sights are a very nice touch, they're very bright and sharp.
SDC11545.JPG

SDC11546.JPG

WC145

You can see the checkering well here. The double diamond grips are really nice and fit perfectly. However, I have a thing for Gritty Grips from DuraGrips (I have them on my Springfield and my Fusion, they're great!!!!), so these will be replaced shortly.
SDC11547.JPG

Here's some pics of the gun disassembled. It was obviously fired at the factory.
SDC11548.JPG

SDC11549.JPG

SDC11550.JPG

SDC11551.JPG

After being thoroughly cleaned and relubed (I use M-Pro7) it was ready to shoot.
In my Kramer Scabbard. The mag holder is from Kytex
SDC11558.JPG

I put 186 rounds through it using 6 different mags - 2 stainless factory 7rd, 2 blued Metalform 6rd, 2 stainless Chip McCormick 7rd. I shot the following ammo:
50 Tulammo steel case 230gr FMJ
50 Blazer aluminum case 230gr FMJ
50 Israeli surplus brass case 230gr FMJ
25 Winchester Ranger T 230gr JHP +P (my carry load)
11 Hornady XTP 230gr JHP +P

I'm happy to say that I had no failures to fire, no failures to feed, no failures to eject. All empties were thrown clear, back and to the right.
While the gun ran great I did have numerous failures to lock open after the last round. The follower would jump the slide stop so that the mags would hang up and I'd have to pull them out. These failures occurred with all the mags I used so I attribute it to a too tight slide stop that hopefully will improve with use.

The trigger wasn't bad, a little bit of creep but it broke clean wthout excessive overtravel. Reset was short and clean. The feel improved some after shooting. I'd guess the pull weight at around 6lbs, definitely heavier than my other 1911s which are all in the 4-4.5lb range.

WC145

I was very impressed with the accuracy and "shootability" of the gun. The weight that comes with the stainless frame helps with recoil and it was easy to control, even with +P loads.

Here are some sample groups/targets-
These are the first 15rds, fired off hand from 10yds.
SDC11561.JPG

Another 15rds, off hand from 5yds.
SDC11562.JPG

2 double taps, 1 triple tap, from 3yds. I'm a helluva shot up close.
SDC11563.JPG

21rds/5yds, 3 mags as fast as I could shoot and reload.
SDC11565.JPG

Here it is hot and dirty-
SDC11567.JPG

Overall, I'm very pleased with the gun's performance and will have no qualms carrying it. It is very accurate and controllable, reliably feeds a variety of ammo from a variety of mags. Like I said, I think that the failure to lock back issue is related to the slide stop since it was common to all the different mags. I am disappointed with the finish issues, while the gun is a looker (all business) the final product should look better for the money, lots of less expensive guns are better finished. These are things I'll be speaking to SIG about.

WC145

Now, one last thing, and I saved it for last because I didn't want to taint anyone's impression. On initial inspection, once I had cleaned the gun, I found a small crack in the slide below the extractor-
SDC11553.JPG

Because it is small and in an area that isn't overly stressed I chose to go ahead and shoot the gun in spite of the flaw. This pic was taken after the gun was shot. I don't know that the crack is worse, I think it is more noticeable because of the lighting-
SDC11568.JPG

This doesn't change my impression of the gun's performance, stuff happens and the crack didn't affect how the gun shot. Would I prefer it wasn't there? Of course, because it means the gun has to go back to the factory, but this creates an opportunity to see how SIG handles such issues. I will also bring up my concerns with the finish and failure to lock back and see what they do with that as well. I've gotten great service from Springfield and S&W in the past and expect the same from SIG. I'll let you all know what happens.

Oh yeah, would I buy it again after giving it a going over and shooting it? Hell yes. In spite of the little flaws, it's still a lot of gun for the money.

WC145

Spoke to Mark, one of the LE reps at SIG, about the issues with the gun. He says they'll take care of everything and emailed me a return shipping label. He also said it should take about two weeks to get it fixed and returned to me. I'm sending the gun back tomorrow and we'll see how it goes.

GONIF

Makes you wonder if it was ever inspected or the inspector was blind . I have 7 Sigs ,but none of their 1911's and have been lucky to have zero problems with any of them . I'm sure they will fix it ,but it should have never left the factory like that .:eek:

AZGlock13

Congrats on the new Sig 1911 Compact. I really enjoy shooting my two Sig 1911s (I have a TTT and RCS). The crack behind the extractor seems very strange (the zig-zag/stairs pattern to it). I'm sure Sig will take care of it pretty fast for you. Too bad you have to send it off in the first place though. Never fun having to send off a firearm and waiting for it to be repaired.

WC145

I'm confident that SIG will do whatever they have to to make the gun right but even though I understand that stuff happens it is disappointing and irritating. Like GONIF said, it should never have left the factory with these issues, and now I'm stuck with having to send it off and wait for it to get back and start all over with it. Plus, while I'm waiting I have to carry something else off duty because I sold my old off duty gun (also a 1911 CCO) to pay for this one, not a big deal but a pain. I like to carry what I'm used to.

Last edited:

GONIF

I'm shure they will fix you up ,but they have you doubting the weapon now . They have numbed that new gun first love tingel for you .:(

WC145

No, I'm not doubting the gun. I really like it. It runs great aside from the slide lock issue, it is very accurate, feels great in the hand, and it feeds FMJ and JHP withut a hiccup. Having to send it back is just a pain due to the time involved and the inconveniences.

dgludwig

As a long time SIG owner, I'm interested as to how this plays out. Keep us posted and thanks for the range report.

Kreyzhorse

Good review and a nice looking gun. The crack sucks, but in my opinion, any gun can have an issue, how the company takes care of the problem is really a good measure of their true worth.

Sounds like Sig is on this one, but let us know how it turns out.

KyJim

Good review. Bad luck on the crack but, based on my experience, Sig customer service will treat you right. I've carried a Sig C3 1911 for maybe four years (along with other guns). Mine had a problem with the barrel which Sig replaced pronto.

My pistol is pre-MIM. I am not dead set against all MIM but I personally would change the slide stop. Too much stress for MIM parts, IMO.

WC145

Well, it'll be back in Exeter today and we'll see how they handle everything. Hopefully it won't take very long, it's supposed to be a "rush" order....

I'll be replacing the slide stop regardless of the outcome for the same reason KyJim mentioned. I figure I'll let them make sure it's working right first.