Got a new Rock Island Armory

Microgunner

So two weeks ago I ordered a new Rock Island Armory mod# 581964 22TCM/9mm 1911 A1.

I picked it up this morning.

Barrel 4.25".

Single stack 10-round magazine.

Chambered in .22TCM with 9mm conversion barrel and recoil spring in the box.

Parkerized finish.

VZ G10 grips.

Ambidextrous extended safety.

Beavertail grip safety with memory pad.

Magazine funnel.

Dove tailed fiber optic front sight.

Adjustable rear sight.

Lowered and flared ejection port.

Skeletonized trigger with over travel stop.

Full length stainless steel guide rod.

Steel frame.

Sweet 3lb trigger pull.

It's a fine looking pistol.

I also ordered 250 rounds of 22TCM ammo and a holster.

Only down side so far....RIA shipped the wrong magazine. They shipped a 17-shot double stack magazine with it. HUH??

I also own a 17-shot double stack RIA 22TCM so I can use the mag, but I'm having trouble getting in touch with RIA for the correct magazine for this new pistol. They don't answer their phone so I've e-mailed them, We'll see how that goes.

RIA22TCM51964001_zps14d4944f.jpg

RIA22TCM51964002_zpsbe118e19.jpg

RIA22TCM51964003_zps5bc6700f.jpg

RIA22TCM51964004_zps368addd4.jpg

marine6680

How much that run you?

Also... you sure the double stack won't work? I seen that they came double stack once.

Last edited:

Microgunner

I paid $589 plus shipping.
This magazine doesn't even come close to fitting.
I also own a 5" double stack 22TCM.
The single stack mid size are new additions to the 22TCM line up.

JERRYS.

when RIA first came out I considered them to be the Charter Arms of the semi-auto world, I'm glad they've proven me wrong.

Microgunner

I'm partial to the Commander platform so I prefer the new one, but for no other reason than it's handier size.
The new mid size is also prettier.

Here's my 5" dpuble stack TCM.
I've finally found after market grips to replace the rather grim factory grips. They're on the way. (and no, Para P14 grips do not fit. I tried).

RIA004.jpg

Last edited:

unixfool

Very nice! Congrats!

I just got an RIA myself, very similar to yours, but it's only 9mm.

One thing I noticed was the magazine...mine came with a 10 rounder. It seems cheap and flimsy. The rounds go in, but they don't like coming out (by hand, at least). It's a Metalform. I ordered 3 Wilson 10-round mags last night, just so I don't have to rely on the Metalform. I haven't shot it yet, though...maybe it'll work fine, and if so, I'll have 4 mags vs. 1.

Again, congrats!

Sevens

The MetalForm brand 9mm single stack 1911 magazines do indeed very much resist the removing of loaded rounds with your fingers and they are not enjoyable to load without some manner of an assisting tool... but "cheap and flimsy" they absolutely are not. They run supremely in my Springer Loaded and completely without failure all of the them, always. A phenomenal 9mm magazine for certain.

Microgunner, did your new RIA also come with a replacement extractor and have you experimented with running both different rounds without replacing the extractor? I rarely hear much about the extractor. (not that piles of folks are chatting about the TCM pistols...)

surveyor

Very nice.
I would be interested in the aftermarket grips for the doublestack as well.

Will aftermarket 1911 38 super mags work? (With a little feed lip modification, like the p18 paras in the doublestacks)

That looks like a nice platform for caliber conversions as well, 9,38 super,tcm, 22 lr maybe depending on if the mag will fit.

If the 22 conversion would work, I would seriously consider one.

Thanks for the post, you have me thinking now.

Microgunner

Sevens said:
Microgunner, did your new RIA also come with a replacement extractor and have you experimented with running both different rounds without replacing the extractor? I rarely hear much about the extractor. (not that piles of folks are chatting about the TCM pistols...)

The double stack that I purchased two or three years back did come with an extra extractor. I was under the impression it was needed for firing 9mm. I discovered that, when trying to install it, it had never been fitted to the pistol and would not go in.
I contacted RIA and they said the one installed extractor would function properly with both calibers. They were right.

The new 22TCM did not include an extra extractor.

I assume they no longer include the superfluous extractor in the box.

surveyor said:
Will aftermarket 1911 38 super mags work? (With a little feed lip modification, like the p18 paras in the doublestacks)

Yes, I did this (to a Mecgar P18 38S magazine). But the magazine spring is also different. I needed to cut a coil out of the 38 Super mag to match the factory TCM magazine, which is itself a modified Mecgar P18 38S magazine.