Got a littleish mulie buck

Just barely a 4x4, but a buck nonetheless. I am guessing he was 3 1/2 years old, and he had 5 girls with him. He had been urinating on his back legs, and a little chunk of one tip is broken off. Musta had some inner fire, as supposedly that unit has some large bucks.

Note to self: Never go out before 9, ever again. Almost without exception, every critter over the last 8 years was taken after 10:00 in the morning. I got up before 5 (wayyyy early for this old fart), drove 2 hours to the property I hunt. It was as foggy as Boston Harbor, and so I sat and waited for 3 hours till the fog burned off. Then walked for a couple hours. I am still catching up on my sleep. But way fun, and turned out to be a nice day.

Attachments

• DSCF3132 (2).JPG
    DSCF3132 (2).JPG
    133 KB · Views: 203
The Division of Wildlife has mandated testing for chronic wasting disease for the male deer harvested in GMU's with a history of CWD. So, it will probably be a couple weeks before the results are available. I sawed the antlers off the skull, and after it is boiled clean, I'm thinking of mounting them on some old barn wood. Then hang them in the reloading room. Nothing fancy. I've seen lots of outbuildings on ranches and farms over the years with antlers hanging on them.

We are making chili out of venison tonight. It's cold and wintery outside, and the cats are laying close to the fire place.

jersurf101

Congrats!

Sureshot, why not eat the good cuts as steaks and grind the off cuts into "sausage". I have found that if cooked right almost any game animal in North America will eat well. I'm not guessing a medium sized mulie would be any different.

Last edited:

taylorce1

Thanks! Yes, a few miles east of Pawnee Buttes. Lots of mulies, and pronghorn.

I haven't spent any time on the grasslands up there, but I did go to college in Sterling CO, and have family there, Otis, and Yuma as well. Thought the terrain looked a little familiar.

He may be kinda gamey, since the rut seems to be in full swing. The game processor lets them hang in the cooler for 10 days or so. All the critters they have butchered for us have been really good. We eat a lot of burger, so this guy is getting ground up. The mulie doe from an earlier season was made into some roasts and loin cutlets. Its always a mystery how bucks are going to taste. One of my brothers 50 years ago got a big 4x4 north of Craig, Co. He was an experienced hunter, and dressed the animal, took it to the butcher. That turned out inedible. We had to toss the meat. I always thought we got somebody else's animal, that was hung in a cow shed for 2 or 3 days and got spoiled.

[QUOTE Sureshot, why not eat the good cuts as steaks and grind the off cuts into "sausage". I have found that if cooked right almost any game animal in North America will eat well. I'm not guessing a medium sized mulie would be any different. QUOTE] I take it you've never tasted a young mulie in full rut?

Again I'm kind of particular how a hunted animal was dealt with before I eat it.

FrankenMauser

I take it you've never tasted a young mulie in full rut?

Again I'm kind of particular how a hunted animal was dealt with before I eat it.
Well, you weren't there and it wasn't your deer.
Don't worry about it.

Thanks for the positive comments! After we get to cook up some of the meat, I'll update. Hoping its good. We eat several meals a week with deer or pronghorn meat. Natural, organic (if that means anything), darn tasty, and the processors we use do a great job.

jersurf101

Lol. Ive take a 3x4 in northern New Mexico. And I am truly very particular about my game handling and processing. To each their own!

Finally ate some burger from this guy

His wasting disease test came back negative. We thawed out a package of burger, cooked a little bit with a little salt and pepper. Yum! So we had soup, and it was great. It was 12 days after he went into the cooler before they processed him. So, the freezer is pretty well stocked and I'm probably going to pass on the last tag. That season lasts till Jan. 31st, so depending on the severity of cabin fever I might have to go. The wife gets fed up if cabin fever gets out of control, and she boots me out to go do something. :D

Last edited: