Got a good hornet load?

7MMGUY

Just started shooting this old favorite. I plan on loading 40 and 45gr bullets. If you have any good loads (1-16 twist) I would appreciate your input.
Thanks

Scorch

11.0 gr of W296 under a 40 gr bullet, WSP primer.
OR
10.0 gr of W296 under a 45 gr bullet, WSP primer.

dagger dog

12.5 to 13 grains Hodgdon Lil Gun with a 40Gr V-Max, works well. I like to use a mild primer like CCI small rifle BR or Remington 6 1/2's, some reloaders are having luck with small pistol primers.

With your 1 in 16 twist you may think about the 35 gr Vmax if the 40 doesn't stabilize in your gun, also using a full length die adjusted to size only the neck portion will usually give better results.

I own a Savage Model 40 single shot, and really enjoy shooting and reloading the Hornet.

Mild primers are a good thing in the Hornet. It tends to develop erratic velocities if the primer is strong enough to unseat the bullet before the powder pressure comes up. Between its small case volume and thin neck, that happens easily.

Primers vary in intensity. RWS is reported to make one of the mildest. Wolf (KVM) is also supposed to be pretty mild. I've not had the opportunity to compare them. The last actual test I saw in a magazine (done in .223) showed Federal 205's to be mildest, but the 6½ was not tested there, due to the .223's pressure. The 6½ is intended specifically for lower pressure small rifle cartridges, like the Hornet.

7MMGUY

Thanks to all. My next question has already been answered regarding neck sizing. How many loads can I expect to get from a piece of brass with neck sizing vs full length sizing? Is it worth the money to buy a neck sizer die?

snuffy

7MMGUY, just back off your FL die about ½ turn, then size as usual. No need to buy a special neck die. You didn't say what type action you have, but try to size a shell, then chamber it empty it to see if it WILL chamber. You may have to run the die all the way down to actually full length size it once every 3-4 times of neck sizing to set that tiny shoulder back so the shell will chamber fully.

Like said, the hornet has VERY thin cases, it's a lot like the 30-30 in that aspect. What you're trying to accomplish is to prevent setting the shoulder back TOO much, creating excess headspace. Repeatiedly doing so will quickly give you separated cases.

My Savage 322-A likes the 40 gr. V-max a lot. It'll do ¾ inches @ 100 yds consistantly with 296. Never got around to trying "LIL"-gun, I hear it's the cats meow for the hornet. Another project on the back burner to be worked on in less than a year when I retire!:D

Crankylove

My my favorite loads are wither a 40 grain Speer soft point, or a 40 grain Ballistic Tip with 10.5 grains of W296. Both shoot very well in my Ruger 77/22 Hornet.

7MMGUY

Guess i will start with the 40gr bullet and w296 since the slower twist might not like the 45gr. The rifle is an Anschutz 1433 carbine bolt action so chambering the cases will be easy. I will try neck sizing first, I can always go back to fl sizing.
Thanks

Most all the Hornet shooters I know feel Lil' Gun is THE optimum powder for it, but all guns are individual, so YMMV.

Snuffy's method of neck sizing works with tapered cases like the Hornet and the .30-30. Only cases with small side wall angles get into trouble with the headspace being squeezed longer by contact with the sides of the sizing die before the neck is adequately sized. Ackley Improved cases, for example. So give Snuffy's method a try.

If you want to absolutely maximum case life, try the
viewproduct
. It works the brass less, because no expander is needed. Because it has no expander, it also doesn't have any real tendency to pull necks off-axis. For $5 more you can get it in a set with Lee's dead length seater, if you want to give that a try, too?

When the case gets tight enough from repeated firing, you'll have to full length resize it or at least push the shoulder back a little. You can get a separate Redding body die for that which leaves the neck alone. Some benchresters find bumping the shoulder back one thousandth each time gives them better accuracy than leaving the case completely fireformed. I can't see a difference as long as I orient the case headstamp the same way for each firing, so I'm in the habit of loading neck-sized cases with the headstamp upright so I don't have to remember which way it goes?

I know of one fellow who has gotten 156 reloads from one of his cases. Keep annealing the necks every fourth loading or so, and don't push the pressures to maximum, and you can make neck-sized cases last a long time. 50 reloads is not uncommon among benchrest shooters. It's one reason they can justify all the time they spend prepping brass.

7MMGUY

Thanks Unclenick,
you guys are hitting me with a bunch of stuff i never knew though i've been reloading for thirty years. Most rifle and pistol cases are pretty simple to reload but that hornet has a funny look about it. I think i will print this page 'cause i'll never remember all this information.