Got a G19.5 How do you hold a Glock?

wild cat mccane

Hey there!

First time full sized Glock owner (prior G43). I just picked up a G19 gen5 today. I haven't shot it yet. Help me on the hold. I notice I can hold it two ways with twisting but neither feels "wrong." Weird way to describe it, but using where my finger pads land on the opposite (left) side of the grip. My right hand finger pads wrap around and land on the smooth area between the textures OR the pads of my fingers land on the opposite palm texture. The second is more twisted, but it doesn't feel bad.

Also, is it normal that the mag release can't be activated without shifting your hand? no matter my hold, I can get to the mag release, but never hard enough to activate it.

Texturing could be more aggressive for sure, but nothing "sharp."

Trigger is good, just heavy. Some movement to wall, zero stack though. I'm a trigger snob on polymers.

I like it so far. Just want to make sure I'm understanding it.

wild cat mccane

Thanks. I can get my thumb on it and some movement on it to make me think others can do it without shifting. Just checking where I fall for "normal" use.

jr24

This video was my Glock epiphany, I could shoot them fine but once I tried Bob Vogels techniques it really “clicked” with Glocks for me. I don’t find the grip works as well with other guns though.

https://youtu.be/45QhpvY9LZc

Shadow9mm

web of your hand in the middle of the grip in the back, wrap your fingers around. with your support hand put the heel of your palm in the remaining space on the grip and wrap your finger over your other finger.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Also, is it normal that the mag release can't be activated without shifting your hand? no matter my hold, I can get to the mag release, but never hard enough to activate it.
Having to shift your grip to drop a mag is a very minor inconvenience. Dropping it accidentally in the middle of a firefight (as I saw one officer do TWICE in one shooting video) is more than just an inconvenience.

For competition, you can put an extended release on it, but for self-defense it's set up just right.

wild cat mccane

True true.

So I think I've identified what I'm feeling unsure about the grip. It doesn't appear my upper palm is making any contact at all on the side panel. I feel the texture, but I don't feel a tight security to it. Letting up on the grip and looking down, I can see through the side panel with nothing of my palm touch the side of the grip. It feels completely held in my hand by only my finger pads and the thumb area of my palm.

I'm sticking with it, but it is definitely different to me. It is adding to my unease on how to hold it because I can easily shift the gun around without me feeling, "well that's not right." It's not uncomfortable, but it doesn't feel like a solid hold either. Maybe the prime reason an oval shape is kinda the norm now?

(again, haven't shot it yet)

Last edited:

Rob228

This video was my Glock epiphany, I could shoot them fine but once I tried Bob Vogels techniques it really “clicked” with Glocks for me. I don’t find the grip works as well with other guns though.

Wow, did you see the way he racked the slide in the beginning? One handed just his thumb and index finger. He's either got VERY strong hands or really light springs.

Great video though.

JohnKSa

Administrator
So I think I've identified what I'm feeling unsure about the grip. It doesn't appear my upper palm is making any contact at all on the side panel. I feel the texture, but I don't feel a tight security to it. Letting up on the grip and looking down, I can see through the side panel with nothing of my palm touch the side of the grip. It feels completely held in my hand by only my finger pads and the thumb area of my palm.
The gun/grip may not be a good fit for you. With the huge variety of handguns available these days, and with many of them having the capability to be tailored to a specific grip with different backstraps and even grip panels, I don't think I would spend a lot of time trying to work out an "interface" problem with one specific model.

I'm not saying to sell the gun immediately, but in your place, I would start trying to get my hands on different handguns and seeing how they fit you.
...once I tried Bob Vogels techniques it really “clicked” with Glocks for me.
I have tried his grip, and while it does offer a very secure hold on the gun and excellent control, unfortunately my wrists do not have the range of movement that his do. It takes a significant amount of effort to twist the gun around so that the sights align on target and holding the gun on target using his method puts a lot of stress on my support arm and wrist that I can only hold for awhile until I start shaking.

I can see the benefits, but unfortunately the differences in our two anatomies make it unworkable for me.

kymasabe

As much as I like Glocks, had to come to the realization years ago that they just don't fit me well, don't point naturally for me, and I don't shoot them well. As such, I no longer own one.
If yours doesn't fit you, it's not the end of the world, there's a hundred other flavors to choose from.

jr24

I have tried his grip, and while it does offer a very secure hold on the gun and excellent control, unfortunately my wrists do not have the range of movement that his do. It takes a significant amount of effort to twist the gun around so that the sights align on target and holding the gun on target using his method puts a lot of stress on my support arm and wrist that I can only hold for awhile until I start shaking.

Fair, it’s not for everyone and I don’t go to quite the extremes he does, as I’m no competitor, but using the “pinch” technique has really stabilized my grip and really helped my first shot on target times and accuracy.

But as you note we all have different hand sizes and geometry and certainly what works for one doesn’t always work for all. I have XL hands but wide palms and shorter fingers (which makes tight fitting gloves that actually fit annoying to find) so Glocks, even the 21, just feel good while things like the little micro 9s just don’t work at all.

All different, I just wanted to share a technique worth trying.

JohnKSa

Administrator
It's definitely worth trying--hard to argue with Vogel's results. That's what motivated me to give it a shot.

totaldla

Hey there!

First time full sized Glock owner (prior G43). I just picked up a G19 gen5 today. I haven't shot it yet. Help me on the hold. I notice I can hold it two ways with twisting but neither feels "wrong." Weird way to describe it, but using where my finger pads land on the opposite (left) side of the grip. My right hand finger pads wrap around and land on the smooth area between the textures OR the pads of my fingers land on the opposite palm texture. The second is more twisted, but it doesn't feel bad.

Texturing could be more aggressive for sure, but nothing "sharp."

Trigger is good, just heavy. Some movement to wall, zero stack though. I'm a trigger snob on polymers.

I like it so far. Just want to make sure I'm understanding it.
You're overthinking this. Spend some time shooting it first. Don't worry about double-taps and other goofy mall ninja stuff. Just focus on stroking the trigger smoothly. Trigger control is where most new shooters struggle.

I have big hands and I like to put my support hand index finger around the trigger guard.

I haven't met a Glock 19 yet that I could outshoot.

Have fun!

Onward Allusion

pistol-grip-thumbs-crossed-snakebite.jpg
:D

wild cat mccane

again, not ripping on the Glock and just trying to understand how to grab it.

The first video of the high hold "pinch" vs hammer hold....there is no grip texture for that to be possible stock. When I grab it how he says, my hand hits every single spot on the grip that doesn't have texture with non sweaty hands (ie, pinching the top of the backstrap to the top of the trigger guard. Super slippery. This type of grip seems to be trying to miss all the factory texture?

That can't be the design of the hold if it requires aftermarket tape? Am I mistaken?

jr24

Do you have issues with sweaty hands and slippage, or are you just speculating?

Your fingers and palms will also be holding traction, so that may help.

Personally, I need grip tape or aggressive stippling on everything (to the point others complain about my 1911 grip preferences, and even still I put skateboard tape on the front strap if the checkering is absent or too smooth) for shooting in the summer, my hands get very sweaty.

wild cat mccane

Meant to say that the none textured portions of the grip are extremely slick. That high hold requires you to grip areas that factory slick. He's having you put the most pressure on the top of the tang which has not texture.

Thought I would try it again and ran into the same thing.

totaldla

Meant to say that the none textured portions of the grip are extremely slick. That high hold requires you to grip areas that factory slick. He's having you put the most pressure on the top of the tang which has not texture.

Thought I would try it again and ran into the same thing.
Go shoot the thing. Then talk about your grip.

More shooting and less yapping.

By the the way, I did find the video helpful to a point - especially the part about torquing my arms inward. I was shooting my M&P40C 2.0 yesterday so I gave it a try.

Last edited:

reynolds357

again, not ripping on the Glock and just trying to understand how to grab it.

The first video of the high hold "pinch" vs hammer hold....there is no grip texture for that to be possible stock. When I grab it how he says, my hand hits every single spot on the grip that doesn't have texture with non sweaty hands (ie, pinching the top of the backstrap to the top of the trigger guard. Super slippery. This type of grip seems to be trying to miss all the factory texture?

That can't be the design of the hold if it requires aftermarket tape? Am I mistaken?
I will preface by saying that I have a big set of paws so my grip is different than many. High grip. Center of web jammed as high as will go on pistol. Base of left palm even with base of right palm. Left thumb over right thumb. Left index finger wrapped around trigger guard. I can't shoot a Glock worth a flip without index finger on trigger guard.
I pull with support hand. Kind of shoot a hybrid stance between modified weaver and First Fire.