Got a favorite load for a Marlin 1894S in .41 Mag.?

reinert

Hello reloaders,

I just aquired a Marlin 1894S in .41 Rem mag. If anyone out there has one of these rifles (carbine actually) and would care to post a favorite load using jacketed or cast bullets, I sure would appreciate the info. I have been using the load that my Ruger N.M. Blackhawk likes, and it just may be a promising load for the Marlin too. I just received the carbine last Friday, and have shot some handloads for my Ruger through it. At 50yds., it will group around 2 inches with this load:

19grns. of H-110
Speer 220grn. JSP bullets
CCI Large Pistol primers
Federal cases (heavy crimp on the bullet where the jacket meets the lead)
O.A.L. 1.59"

Any rifle load info will be very much appreciated. This Marlin is really a fun gun to shoot.

Thanks,

reinert

plainsman456

I have the blackhawk and the marlin also and i have tried the 210-220 gr. bullets they didn't like them,so i went with the 170 gr.sportmaster from sierra.I load for the pistol them try them in the marlin.The powder i use is H-110 with 25.0 grs.Worked real good 2 years ago killed a deer at 125 yards 1 shot dead real fast.Work up for your own safety.Good Luck

CowTowner

Check the Sierra reloading manual.
You'll find there are loads specifically for the Marlin that are a little hotter than pistol loads for both the 170 and 210 gr bullets.
Good pig hunting loads, IMO.
Enjoy the rifle, Marlin has stopped making/offering them in .41 Rem Mag.

Dingoboyx

I just use.....

200 gr flat roundnose or full roundnose lead projectiles and fill 'em up with trail boss (less projectile depth) in my 23" cowboy, but then I only use it for CAS, not hunting :D

reinert

Fellow levegunners,

This is exactly what I need for responses (.41 recipes!), and I thank you all very much. I waited a long time to find the Marlin to go with the Ruger, and the little levergun is a real peach. I'm going to try some cast bullets in the carbine and pistol at some point too, and when I can get the loads worked up and tried out, I'll post some results. Great forum here, and thanks again for for helping out. My wife and I do a lot of camping, and when we're in Grizz country, and when (hopefully never) the claw comes through the fabric of our pop-up camper, you can just call me Lucas McCain...my wife says, "yeah, right..." ;>) Bill Ruger will be there with me too...just in case.

Thanks again,

reinert

P.S. Anyone tried out the Hodgdon Lil Gun powder?

CowTowner

I waited a long time to find the Marlin to go with the Ruger

I was lucky to find mine the same place I bought my Ruger Blackhawk. The dealer had it on a back shelf and it was old stock. Got a good deal on it too IIRC.

ForneyRider

looks good. I use similar load in Blackhawk but with Nosler 210gr JHP or Remington 210 JSP. The crimp made the difference in performance.

reinert

yup, the crimp is the clincher from what I've found, too. Holds stuff together stacked in a tube, and keeps 'em tight in that rockin' cylinder when the Ruger speaks with authority. Thanks again, guys.

reinert