Gorgeous Lithgow Garand!

Fatelvis

I saw a brand-spanking new Garand, made by Lithgow, today in a gunshop. I was tempted to buy it, ($795), but I figured Id check with you guys first, not being familiar with that manufacturer. I di a search, and came up with a few negitive things. Anyone know much about these? Thanx guys-

Gewehr98

Lithgow receivers...

Have been analyzed and found well out of tolerances compared to the genuine WWII/Korean War articles made by Springfield Armory, Winchester, H&R, and IHC. Some (Clint McKee at Fulton Armory, for one) go so far as to say the guns shouldn't be fired at all, they're an accident waiting to happen. Good CMP rifles are still available , why not just get one of them?

Fatelvis

I already have a GI Garand. This one was a head-turner though!! God, am I glad I didnt buy it.... I was close! Thanx Gewehr.

BeCoole

Hold out for a CMP Garand like a Springfield or an H&R or an IH. Real US GI, real forged recievers, real qulaity. You can get them for the same amount or less. If you don't want to go the CMP route, you can find one at any gunshow.

Dave P

Elvis - don't forget than you could send your garand into GarandGuy or Deans. Then your rifle would look just as good, and have the history behind it!

Prolly cheaper, too.

AZ Jeff

As has been discussed at Culver's Shoot Page on the web (www.jouster.com), you are probably better off getting a U.S. Mil. rifle from the CMP, and getting it "restored". Several different resources mentioned on Culver's pages do such restorations, and the end result would be a rifle that looks as good as the Lithgow you saw, but has historical heritage, for around the same price.

It just depends on if you want the instant gratification of the "store bought" Lithgow M1.

PS>>Culver's page also talks about some issues with the Lithgow rifles. They really are surplus (used) M1 parts mated to a new, investment cast recevier made by Lithgow.

1911Fencer

I'd have to chime in and say yes, get a USGI M1 if you're going to get another one. If you want it to LOOK good, get a new stock, and have the whole thing reparkerized. You'll probably still spend less than you mentioned.

I've seen the reviews of the Lithgow receivers, but would like to mind everyone, ONE receiver that looks like crap doesn't mean that ALL of them will be. I've heard stories of CAI M1s falling apart, or having only hand-tightened barrels, but I've heard at least an equal number of "I've got one, and it works fine" stories.

If you seriously considered buying a non USGI M1, it's certainly not going to be worth as much as the price you listed above. Ask the seller if you can have it checked by a competent gunsmith. Of course, the reputable M1 smiths (Orion 7, Fulton Armory, DGR) won't TOUCH a non USGI rifle.