• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Google, Closed Threads, and Misinformation

GelatinousPig

hello, new member here. just doing a drive-by due to google finding me info and sending me to the site (been here to read many times). stumbled upon a thread that closed (ancient) and wanted to ask a question: what happens when old threads are closed, but a good portion of the content is not accurate? my concern is that folks reading it may take said information as absolute. if you read that thread, you will find misinformation and completely outdated facts that have now become misleading.

thanks,
pig

BarryLee

As long as the thread wasn’t closed because it violated TFL rules I suppose you could open a new thread and make whatever point it is you feel needs to be made.

GelatinousPig

i agree, but when google sends folks to the old thread, there is no way to know the facts/material may have been updated in a newer thread. that's the conundrum to the whole thing, and i guess a situation across the entire internet really.

BarryLee

i guess a situation across the entire internet really.

Well, without seeming like a jerk - Bingo. I haven't really reviewed the thread you linked to, but in general people post things on here that range from legitimate expert advise to old wives tales. It's really up to the reader to sort through it all. I always tell people when reviewing anything on the internet to read multiple posts on multiple sites.

Also, this site has excellent moderators and if you have a serious concern you can contact one of them.

44 AMP

Staff
there is no way to know the facts/material may have been updated in a newer thread.

Except that it IS an old thread, which is kind of incumbent on the reader to recognize.

If Google sent you to an article in the November 1967 American Rifleman (or any other periodical) would you expect all the information to be both valid and current?

There is a lot of good, sound, factual information about firearms that doesn't change. And some that does, such as pricing, in particular.

For example, information about a 1975 mfg S&W M29 is as correct today as it was the day the gun left the factory, except its no longer an MSRP of $283.50. ;)

No, there is no automatic way to tell you if the information in an old thread is out of date. For that, you have to do further research.

GelatinousPig

agree on all points made. still concerned, but not sure if there exists a solution (perhaps there shouldn't be since arm chair types stand out more when quoting erroneous facts).

Mal H

Staff
Keep in mind GP that this is neither a fact-finding board nor a fact-checking board. "Caveat lector" applies here (reader beware).

Now, even so, if you do find an old closed thread that is grossly misleading to the point that it poses a danger to the casual reader please let us know by PMing one of the mods of the forum containing the thread or post.

jmr40

You'll find lots of misinformation even in threads that are not locked. None intentional and mostly by folks who mean well. But in the firearms community there are probably more old wives tales, myths and legends than most others. Lots of guys take grandpa's advice without ever fact checking and continue to spread the myths. Lots of grandpa's advice may have been accurate 50 years ago, much of it never was. It just took a while for the proof to get out.

But most of the time someone chimes in with accurate information. But it is often hard to tell which is accurate and which is not. I'd never advise taking anything you read on the internet as factual. It is great to read the opinions of others. But unless you can verify it, most information it should just be considered opinion.

And much is intended as opinion. One of the more common topics is which gun should I buy. I'll gladly give my opinion, and it will often differ from many others. Neither is right or wrong, just opinion.

DaleA

Just curious GelatinousPig, you've posted several times and yet your post count remains at 1. Is it something you're doing or this site?

Evan Thomas

DaleA, the reason for the low post count is that all but one of GP's posts are in this thread. Posts in this subforum don't add to members' post counts.

DaleA

!
Wow, learn something new everyday.
(And now that I have I'm heading for my afternoon nap.)
Thank you Evan Thomas.