Goodbye Noisy Cricket... Hello NC 2.0!

samsmix

I liked my P3AT. We worked well together. It was a rocky relationship at first, but I fluffed and I buffed and eventually we became reliable and effective out to a distance where better sights might be usable, (about 25 yards or so). 50 yard hits seemed pretty doable on ICE-QT targets, though not necissarily always center of mass...

...and so I sold my little supercarry, and bought a Ruger LCP. I hope we work well together.

samsmix

Yes, and better fit and finish. More comfortable in my hand, and better, easier to pick up sights. I liked my P3AT, so I bought...a nicer P3AT. Knowingly.

samsmix

I always was a but curious as to why the Kel-tec is +P rated while the Ruger is not, but I wasn't going to run +Ps out of this barrel length & weight class anyhow.

dogtown tom

samsmix I always was a but curious as to why the Kel-tec is +P rated while the Ruger is not, but I wasn't going to run +Ps out of this barrel length & weight class anyhow.
Because Ruger is smart enough to know that there is no SAAMI or CIP spec for ".380 +P".

And the P3at isn't "rated" for +P, KelTec just says:
"AMMUNITION: The P-3AT Pistol is designed and chambered for the .380 Auto
cartridge. Do not use any other ammuntion. The P-3AT will accept +P
ammuntion, however not with continuous use."

When you can't even spell "ammunition" correctly, it doesn't exactly inspire much confidence in their products does it?:D

https://www.keltecweapons.com/media/catalog/category/pistols/p3at/p3at_series_manual.pdf

samsmix

Model12Win, I am with you, but a friend saw me shooting the Kel-tec right after watching Men In Black. He called it my "noisy cricket" due to its small size and snappy recoil, and the name just stuck.

Mosin44az

LCP is a clear upgrade over the Kel-Tec, doesn't need post-purchase attention to work properly. Better materials, better fit and finish, better gun. The "extra weight" is nothing.

Bart Noir

And if you compare the LCP Custom (one with the red trigger) to the P3AT, you get much much better sights and certainly a better trigger.

I went from 1st Gen KelTec which needed an entire slide replacement before it worked, to a S&W Bodyguard 380 to the LCP Custom.

And now I'm keeping my eyes open for the LCP 2 which was just announced. Slide stays back on an empty magazine, like the Bodyguard.

Bart Noir

samsmix

The LCP2 sounds like the best thing yet!

Thus far I LOVE this little gun. I haven't given it a full workout, but it chewed through 100 rounds of everything that made my Kel-tec choke, including a box of 71gr Pow-R-ball, WWB flat point FMJs, and assorted hollow points. It ate them all without a single hiccup. I didn't wring it out for accuracy, but egg-sized dirt clods were easy to bust at 15-20 feet. The better sights seemed to help.

The only thing I think I might do is square the face of the front sight. The concave "snag-free" design catches light in a bad way.

P71pilot

I really like the PF9, but dont own one. If i ever decide to get a pocket sized pistol, the ruger LC9S May be the buy.

A noisy cricket is more like a heizer defense pocket AR or pocket AK. 2 shot pistol chambered in rifle cartridges. Awesome

samsmix

I've seen the Heizer fired. Looked painful!

I liked the LC9, but already own a Shield. The LCP serves a different need for me.

tallball

I am glad that you like it.

I have had my P3AT for something like five years and it has never once malfunctioned.

But it is wonderful to live in a country with so many choices!

I am a Ruger fan and own something like ten of them - more than any other brand. In my experience they make very good guns.