Good years for the Security Six?

Casimer

I've been looking at some Ruger Security Six's (e.g. the 2.75" and 4" bbl models). But I'm not very familiar with the history of Ruger revolvers.

Did the build and finish quality of these differ throughout their production? - for instance, are the early ones better built than the later ones, or vice versa?

Also is there anything specific to evaluating Rugers that I should be aware of?

madmag

I am the lucky owner of a Speed Six .357 SS 2 3/4" barrel. I have lots of guns including a GP100, but I think the Security/Speed Six Rugers are about the best for medium frame (larger than SP101, smaller than GP100). Not aware of any bad years for this pistol. Stories differ a Little, but apparently Ruger did want to go even stronger than the Security Six line. Also, I think the Security Six cost more to make due to machining operations. Don't get me wrong, the GP100 has it's place, but my favorite carry gun is my Speed Six. As far as strength, all I can say if you break a Security Six...then WOW.

BTW, every few months the price goes up on the Security Six line.

Also is there anything specific to evaluating Rugers that I should be aware of?

Just the normal things for any revolver. There is a good sticky that gives guidance for buying used revolvers.

Last edited:

JED1177

Ruger "Six" Series

Buy with confidence!

I am also fortunate enough to have a Speed Six (2 3/4 in) and a
Service Six (4in). I'll own a Security Six (6 in) as soon as I can find one.

Fantastic guns and built like a tank. One thing you'll never have to ask is "can I shoot +p's in them?" !

Webleymkv

The only issue that I know of is the grips. Most people find the factory stocks nearly useless when firing Magnum ammo. Luckily, aftermarket stocks are readily available unless you have an older gun with a 150-prefix serial number in which case replacement stocks are quite difficult to find. 151 and up prefixes have no problems

Slopemeno

Later grips can be retrofitted to the 150-series pretty easily.

As far as "bad years" there really weren't any. The gun is serviceable, and about as solid a DA revolver there is short of a GP-100. My 1980-vintage Security Six has been through the wringer and is as smooth as silk.

treg

A big part my recent Sec Six purchase was due to the small, compact factory wood grips. Best feeling revo I've ever picked up. It fits my medium size paws very well. I've shot a few full tilt .357 mag reloads through it with no problem and will continue to do so. YMMV. I did try several AM grips, even modified some but in the end I bought a slightly worn set of the factory sliver grips to keep the originals new.
It is very accurate and a pleasure to carry, my favorite revo to date.

wnycollector

There are no bad years that I'm aware of for Sixes. My 1980 2 3/4" security six is great. I prefer the Sile Rubber Gripper grips at CDNN. They are made of a rubber that doesnt grab like the hogues do when you carry it concealed!

joegator

I bought a 6 inch security -six in 1979. I changed the stock wood grips for a set of pachmayr grips. It has been an exceptional revolver and I will never part with it. Never heard of any production issues. As far as I know the only reason it was discontinued was production cost. They are still in big demand.

I only regret I didn't get a speed -six too.