Good weather+ Good rifles+ iPhone= Great day at the Range

shooter_john

I will be shooting in my first ever Precision Rifle Match next weekend (35 rd match ranging from 300-500 yds) and I haven't been able to really get out and dope my rifle(s) at any decent range until today. I also just got a new iPhone last week and I ended up buying the Knight's Armament Co. Bulletflight (M) app to go along with it. Bulletflight has a mil dot calculator, projectile database, and will also gather the weather conditions for your location and give you a range card. (That one sentence doesn't begin to list all of the features that the app has, but it is the ones I used most today)

So I ventured out to some family land to get some time in at longer ranges (usually only have 200 yards max close to home). I checked my zero's at 100 and then moved the target stand back to 300 yards. On the trip with me today were my 700 SPS Tactical 20", my 700P County issued rifle, my Dad, and a couple of his rifles, but I was mainly concerned with doping my 308's. I already had weapon profiles built for the pair of Remington's with Federal GMM 168 bullets. I pulled up the profiles, brought up a drop chart with my specific weather conditions and sent it... I got first round hits (in the 9 ring of 8" Dirty Bird targets) with both rifles. I know at 300 yards that isn't exactly impressive, but with a 10-15 mph gusty wind, I was pretty impressed with the program, considering that is all I used to make the shots. I also got a drop chart for a generic 55gr .223 Rem profile that comes preloaded and had my Dad try a group with his new AR, and he got a first round hit as well, and he has never shot more than 100 yards with anything.

In the end it was just a gorgeous day on the range with my Dad, my gear, and some new useful technology. (My wife also came along but only fired a 3 shot group and then went to take a nap.) I really look forward to using the Bulletflight program more as I now have good confidence in it's accuracy. I was also pretty pleased with my rifles today, keeping every froup I fired sub 1 MOA, and some much smaller than that. Now I just can't wait to get my feet wet at the Precision Match.

The "Firing Line" as we prepped everything...
26070_380036535751_744995751_499304.jpg

I LOVE MY IPHONE.

I bought the same software as you, $30 on iTunes App Store, and I was nothing short of EXTREMELY impressed. I had my .308 zeroed at 100 yards, after inputting the values into my iPhone, I shot a 4.646'' 5 shot group at 500 yards. The elevation adjustments were dead on, the windage was 5" off but I didn't get a good reading to begin with.

The best part was...I haven't chronographed my handloads yet so I estimated the muzzle velocity, and it was still that accurate.

When you begin shooting beyond 500yds, you'll see that the software will calculate bullet drift and coriolis effect. UNREAL. I can't wait to try this out at my first 1000yd match this season. This is the greatest App ever.

Also, it uses your phone's motion sensor to determine cosine angle. You set your iphone on your barrel, action, scope, or whatever, and press one button and it saves the angle reading. Unbelievable.

It can also calculate projectile stability out to over 1000yds. using any weapon profile that you input. The options are endless. It's worth buying an iTouch just to get this software if you don't or cant get an iphone

shooter_john

Thanks spotter! A buddy of mine just got a permit from the Dept. of Conservation to shoot beavers and coyotes on his property at night, so I'm going out tonight to try out our (the county's) NVS 80 night optics. I'll pics of that too if possible!