Good Trade?

jcjr3020

Is this a good trade? Lightley used Ruger Blackhawk .45colt/.45ACP convertebel with 4 5/8" barrel for a brand new S&W SIGMA .40 out the door.

trooper3385

I would say yes, but that's mainly because I would rather have the Ruger than the S&W Sigma. As far as the value of each, I have know idea what either is worth. It's a good trade if your happier with the Ruger now than you were with the S&W.

Sevens

I don't think it's a good trade.

Sigma's can be had box fresh and new for cheap dough.
Keep the one with some character and flexibility.

gearchecker

Who has which gun?

Whoever gets the Ruger in the end gets the best deal.

Sigma .40 is common and you will need to adjust to the trigger pull or you will never like it. You can buy a Sigma now for around $225 after the S&W rebate or get an extra mag if you want it instead.

44 AMP

Staff
Unless your personal situation requires the semi auto

Its a poor trade. I'm not even considering the monetary value of the guns, either.

The Blackhawk is a more effective, more efficient handgun, in a better caliber for any use, except CCW/combat action shooting.

If you need an urban carry gun, then the shape, size, and capacity of the semiauto are important. But, for general outdoor use, the Blackhawk is better, being able to handle a greater range of power in its ammo.

Its all about personal preference, but for me, I wouldn't trade a Blackhawk .45 for any .40, or any plastic framed gun. Worst case I can think of, you might need to use the handgun as an impact weapon, and if that ever happens, at least the Blackhawk is a decent size chunk of steel! Your opinion, of course, might be different.;)

b.thomas

Really depends if you like ruger or the Sigma best! If it's a sigma and your a happy camper, then yes it's a good deal.
Personally i haven't heard much good about the sigma's and would have kept the ruger, even more so if it were a .44 or .357 mag.:D

Glenn E. Meyer

The original Sigma 40's were jam-o-matics!! Something screwed up with the mags, IIRC. Don't know about the new ones.

But - as all said, the Ruger is the best one to have.

mellow_c

I've got a Sigma 9mm.. and I've shot the Sigma .40. I like them both. Great guns, Had no problems with either one. However, I'd say the value of the Ruger is probably greater than the Sigma. And a nice Single action Convertible like that should be tons of fun, and a great revolver to keep around for a looong time. If you really want the Sigma .40. I'd say go for it, they are easily worth the $300+ that they are going for. Yet, I'd still keep the Ruger. You could offer to buy the pistol at a slightly less than new price if they person really wants to get rid of it. :)

jcjr3020

I made up my mind, i am not going to do the trade. At the time the sigma felt great in my hand, and i was in the mood for a new gun. But with out the finances to get it outright at the time the blackhawk in the back of the cabnet looked like a good trade. After doing a lot of thinking and reading the posts, that cold steel does feel good and is a better made sidearm. Thanks for all of your input, and helping me confirm that thought in the back of my mind that said to keep the blackhawk.

mellow_c

This is a little late in this thread to be posting. But I just thought I'd say it's nice to hear you kept the Black Hawk. I dont think I could get rid of any of my guns, ever. Even though a few of them are not exactly smooth operators.

I would like to add, now that your secure in your decision to keep the black hawk... That I love the new Sigmas. They are very accurate, and feel great in the hand... They are easy to aim. And I dont mind the heavy springy trigger. I think of it as a bit of a safety, and with a little practice it becomes quite natural. I've shot mine and another guys, Neither mine nor his has had a single malfunction of any type since we have owned them (neither has gone through more than a few thousand rounds) We have also both shot 2 seperate types of ammo in our guns. from 2 types of FMJ, to hollow points, and led bullets. I'm very impressed with these little guns, they are easy to clean, look and feel great, so far for me, totally reliable. You can get night sights for them, they have a rail for a flashlight, although it's not a standard rail, you would probably need an adapter.

I've shot 3 different glocks... and I prefer the Sigma to a glock, I'd even say as a carry pistol. (although I dont carry.) There are a bunch of other great pistols out there. But for the money, and the fact that it works, and it has alot of other good things going for it. The new Sigma from S&W is well worth the $300 or so they are going for.

Maybe this will help someone