Good time to sell off brass?

veprdude

I've been collecting brass I've shot for the last 15 years or so. I pick it up because one day I might get into reloading. I never get around to it. With all the hoopla is this a good time to sell some of it off? Or are the other components the limiting reactant here?

TJB101

Certain brass is hard to find. (44Mag for me), others abound. Depends of what you have. Primers and certain powders are the biggest supply issues right now outside of brass.

armoredman

Agreed, primers and powder are the hardest to come by, but also agreed, some specialty brass is also harder to find, because people are shooting the oddballs less, due to supply chain issues. Sure, put it up for sale - you'll probably get some bites. Heck, people are buying 9mm and 5.56mm brass right now, too.

std7mag

Primers & bullets are hardest to find in my area.
I'm shooting my "obsolete" cartridges more. The local shops didn't sell out of my oddball as quickly.

List up the brass you have.
If nothing else, price of scrap is up.

Shadow9mm

The only thing that has been hard for me to find is primers and 357 mag brass. Powder selection has been limited, but I have always been able to find something. Longest wait on bullets was about 2 months. But they mostly seem to be in stock now too.

If you want to get into reloading it's not impossible by any means, just a bit challenging. I would still with straight wall pistol cartridges starting out, as they are a lot easier than bottle necked rifle

Last edited:

MarkCO

Why would you not get a press and get set up to reload, at least over a few months when you can find what you need. Brass and bullets are pretty much available now. Powder, less so and primers less. But it is loosening up and I have seen prices fall. Presses are more available too.

jag2

As others have indicated, if you have it sorted and have some hard to find calibers maybe yes but 9mm, 45 ACP and a few others, sell as scrap metal. I just don’t see it being worth the trouble to clean, sort, package, and ship.

Shadow9mm

As others have indicated, if you have it sorted and have some hard to find calibers maybe yes but 9mm, 45 ACP and a few others, sell as scrap metal. I just don’t see it being worth the trouble to clean, sort, package, and ship.
Not so much. Sorted is important, dirty does not matter, package is easy, shipping is covered by the buyer.

I buy my brass from No Bull Tactical. It comes diry, swept up off indoor range floors, sorted, and dumped into 1gal ziplock bags with the mouths taped closed. 9mm is going for $59.99 per 1000 plus shipping and tax. Just bought 1000pcs of 38spl for $64.99 ended up being about $85 with shipping and tax. I decap, wet tumble, and it looks like new.

Nick_C_S

Per MarkCO, You should get into loading. Just not right now :p. Might wanna wait 'till these shortages pass.

But to answer your question directly, what FrankenMauser said: NOW is a good time to sell brass.

veprdude

I bought a Frankford Armory wet tumbler at a pawn shop for $60 and it got me thinking about cleaning and sorting it. I think I have about 4-5 5 gallon paint buckets full of brass.

I've considered reloading for years but I always have another project or hobby. I think if I ever do it, it'll be for the M1 Garands and magnum revolver cartridges. Hard to justify reloading the common stuff unless you have a fancy progressive press.

veprdude

For those interested what I have is probably 90% 9mm, 40 s&w, 45acp, 223/556, 308.

I found a few 458 socom and 300 win mag from random brass collecting. Some 5.7 and 300 blk too. But probably not enough oddball stuff to fill a ziplock.

Shadow9mm

I bought a Frankford Armory wet tumbler at a pawn shop for $60 and it got me thinking about cleaning and sorting it. I think I have about 4-5 5 gallon paint buckets full of brass.

I've considered reloading for years but I always have another project or hobby. I think if I ever do it, it'll be for the M1 Garands and magnum revolver cartridges. Hard to justify reloading the common stuff unless you have a fancy progressive press.
wet tumblers are fantastic. just keep in mind they also have to dry. nocking out the primers first seems to speed things up a lot.