Good, the bad, the ugly: Glock 22

defjon

So, I've found a G-22 for 425.00 used in great shape with two 10 rder mags.

I've heard nothing but good 'bout glock, save the ergonomics. BUT, about this model, I've heard it was built on a 9mm frame, but has some issues because of the higher energy from the .40 caliber bullet.

I'm a college student on a REALLY limited budget, so I can't afford to have anything go wrong!

Also looking at an SW-66...just because I doubt anything would go wrong on a revolver like that. Plus, it's so pretty and shiney. Anyhow, I do like the glocks. If I get it, it'd be the only gun I'd be buying...for awhile likely...

Any personal experiece here or info would be spiffy :)

danke,
Jon

WhoKnowsWho

I purchased a used refurbished G22 a while back. No problems, but I never shot lead or reloads through it. ;) I always wanted a 9mm Glock though, so I ended up getting a 9mm conversion barrel for it. The G22 saw a lot of rounds, but now with the 9mm barrel, it has seen a lot more. No problems at all, they truly are functional pistols, luckily, I also like how they look! I added a 3.5lb connector, a lower power striker spring, and polished everything up, feels great, easy and cheap to do. And I sent out the slide for refinishing just to make it nice looking even more. It is easy to shoot fast and accurately, even before the small amount of work I put into it.

$425 ain't as good as it sounds though. Check out www.cdnninvestments.com They have a catalog you can download and look through to order from. Glock 22s with 1 15 round mag are $349, with nickel slide and night sights, only $359. They charge $10 for shipping (at least the 3 times I have ordered from them they have). You just need to find a dealer around you that you can have them transfer the gun to you, hopefully for less than $25. I wish I had options as cheap back when I got my G22, it was $500 but with two 15 round magazines back when they were still $60+.

Lots of other inexpensive guns on sale in there too. SIGs and all sorts of nice stuff! I am planning on ordering from them next month.

The ugly? If you shoot bad reloads in it, and get a bullet stuck due to the round having no powder, and fire again, you probably won't have much of a gun left, but that is true with any polymer framed and some metal framed guns. I have seen pictures of both messed up, moral of the story, don't do it. If you reload, pay attention. Walk away from the real cheap box of home made ammo at the gun shows, 'cause who knows how much powder is crammed into each case, or how little!

Enoy looking through the catalog, and think about using that order 3 pistols and get free shipping special! :D

IanS

First of all if you are a college student on a limited income I doubt you could afford the ammo to actually kill it. Sorry. :rolleyes: ;) I was once a student on a fixed budget as well.

While the G22 is not the most durable .40 S&W pistol you can get it is far from fragile. Some people say the gun starts exhibiting serious problems at 20,000 rounds. What those serious problems are I'm not sure because they never seem to really get into it. Was it something Glock could have repaired or were they just frustrated? Some people say they've documented nearly 100,000 rounds or exceeded it. I believe the "truth" is somewhere in the middle.

How much do you shoot or how much do you plan to shoot? I think for the avg. gunowner who goes shooting twice a month or so the G22 is tough enough. Have a GlockArmorer inspect, detail clean, and change parts every year or two years depending on how much you shoot and the gun should last you for as long as you probably care to own it. And if something does go wrong Glocks are usually the cheapest and easiest to fix as well.

Or trade it in for a G17 (probably one of the toughest handguns on the planet) if long term durability is that big of a concern for you.

WillBrayjr

I "believe" the FBI conducted a 50,000rd test on a G-22 without any malfunctions. Of coarse they cleaned often through the test because there is no auto pistol in the world that can shoot 50,000rds reliably without a good cleaning.

WhoKnowsWho

Oops, www.aimsurplus.com has G22s for even cheaper, with one 15 round magazine, and free shipping, 329.95 Used. Check them out, give them a call. It isn't the price listed on the website, but it is in their flyer.

JohnKSa

Administrator
With good quality factory jacketed ammo you should have no troubles. But the price you list is not very good. I can get a new one for around $430 in this neck of the woods. Maybe prices aren't that good in your area, but I still think you can do better.

OBIWAN

New Glocks around here go for $499

Refurbs are a little cheaper

You can probably watch the for-sale forums and do better.

And 10 rd mags...puhhhhleeease...

I don't worry too much about used Glocks...unless it looks really bad it is probably fine

Also you might want to consider the G-19

Cheapest practice ammo available

HSMITH

If you are a student on a limited budget, get a G17 instead. You can shoot a lot more for the same amount of money. 40 is at least a third if not half again more expensive to buy.

I have a 3rd gen G22 with about 8000 rounds through it. FLAWLESS is the only way to describe the performance so far. Reasonably accurate and dead solid reliable. If I didn't reload I wouldn't shoot it as much, but I really like it.

When you get your Glock put some quality STEEL aftermarket sights on it, the stock sights that come on Glocks are pathetic.