Good shotgun for beginners?

capflyboy05

I'm looking to spend between $250 and $500.

I want it to be a rugged gun, able to be carried around.
Beauty isnt a factor for this gun.
Rough, tough, and a hard hitter is the name of the game here.
Any suggestions?
Preferably a 12 ga.
A 20 ga. works just as well.
Just for fun, hiking, and some hunting if I decide to do so.

oregunner

Buying a shotgun is like buying a wrench. They aren't all the same and each is best for a certain function. First you need to figure out how you plan to use it, then research your options. You won't find any shotgun that is good for everything. Mark

jonnyc

Or you can spend under $200 and get a Maverick 88. Spend the savings on different barrels and lots of ammo.
I got a Maverick 12 ga. for HD, trap/skeet, and hunting if need be. I'm not a "shotgun guy", and I'm very happy with my versatile choice.

oregunner

The Maverick is like a Crescent wrench. It might work for many things and is what you get when you buy a homeowners beginner tool set. Mark

TheKlawMan

You will probably be fine with either a Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870. Perhaps your most important choice is what barrel to get with it, even though you can get other barrels to fit either gun.

upstate81

Please whatever you do buy a used remington 870 wingmaster or a used ithaca 37 featherweight that's all you need and if your lucky enough a used 1300 winchester is amazing as well. If your set on a new gun get the winchestaer SXP or a browning BPS. those are the best pump economical guns you can buy.

zippy13

For a first (or only) shotgun, a 12-ga may be a better choice than a 20-ga because of the much greater variety of 12-ga ammo available.

lsgunss

Hold the guns and see what feels good for you. Safeties are a big one for me, I dont like the thumb saftey on the new mossberg. I bought my 870 and LOVE it.

jonnyc

"Just for fun, hiking, and some hunting if I decide to do so." - OP

I'll stick with Maverick as the perfect starter shottie, for the uses stated above. No sense in spending more. I got one to get me into shooting shotguns. It currently works well for all my uses. I am now also casually looking for an O/U 20 for trap/skeet, but I'm in no rush and haven't blown my budget.

datboiryan

Try looking at the Maverick 88. I believe it's made by Mossberg and they are less than 200. I know of three people who have it and none have had problems with it so far.

ripnbst

I'd get a Winchester SXP if it fits you well. IMO its the best pump out there right now that is still not very expensive.

Remington 870 and Mossberg 500 are also good options as there's lots of aftermarket for both. I just bought a Weatherby PA08 Pump gun and really like it. For the price I think its in a class of its own.

nogo

If you choose a Mossberg, pay a little more and get the 500. The wisdom of my old age says to buy a used but mint 870 Wingmaster. You won't regret it.

upstate81

+1 RIPNBST the winchester SXP Blackshadow is an amazing shotgun. It uses the invector plus choke system (mine came with 3 chokes) also has a rotating bolt. The best part is it basically ejects the shell for you. You can hold the gun with one hand up to your shoulder and fire and the action will open and the shell comes right out! That's why the SXP and the semiauto SX3 are the fastest shot guns on the market. I paid 369 NIB at bass pro for mine. However it has been reported that they are hard to find in most local shops.

jaguarxk120

Like other's have said, buy a Remington Wingmaster (used) or a Mossberg 500.
The 500 can be had with a extra slug barrel. A used Wingmaster is one of the nicest operating pump's out there.

The reason for a Wingmaster is everyone is buying the Express in black trim. The Express does't hold a candle to the Wingmaster.

A Maverick, check out where it's made!!

Enjoy your new shotgun when you get it.