Good self protection 32 S&W Long ammo

Status
Not open for further replies.

30-30remchester

Hello everyone I have a problem. I am having to help a small weak elderly woman with artheritis. Her husband recently passed away and I went over at her request to help her with his self protection guns. She was unable to reach the trigger on his model 10 Smith & Wesson. She also was unable to rack the slide on his Ruger LCP. I took over a borrowed Smith & Wesson J framed 32 Smith & Wesson Long. She was able to control the recoil of the 32 but a snubnosed 38 Special was too difficult for her to handle. So what I was needing was defensive ammo for the 32 S&W Long. Seems all I have found was lead round nose ammo. Anybody have any ideas?

chris in va

My Lyman manual shows two JHP bullet loads for the 32 S&W Long. Maybe someone can step up to the plate and send you some handloads for her.

A 100gr JHP running 760fps is better than harsh words.

rodfac

Just a cpl of thoughts...

First and foremost, the .32 Long is no defensive caliber no matter how you load it.

Instead, get her a .38 Spl with the proper defensive loads for it. Train her on .38 Spl wadcutters until she can handle the recoil, then move up to the real stuff...a grip exerciser would help in as little as 3 weeks. A J frame Smith is the way to go.

Letting her think she's going to be adequately defended by a .32 Long is a mistake.

JMHO Rodfac

30-30remchester

It was wadcutters I was letting her shoot in a 2" j frame. After the first shot she missed the 4x8 backstop the next 4 shots at 15 yards. She has very crooked fingers from artheritis and is quite weak. While I dislike the 32 as well, you must remember it was used by many police departments for years and many warring nations used the 32 ACP as a military cartridge. In my thinking I would rather her hit her assailent with a 32 than miss him with a 38.

Glenn E. Meyer

Ok, she says she wants to shoot. She can't shoot the 38. So telling her to ditch the 32 is stupid, to be blunt. Most DGUs are deterrent. Yeah, tell me about the zombie meth biker. How many are there?

For the vast majority of break-ins or attacks, hearing gun fire and rounds hitting him is so much better than no gun or shrieks before you die.

RKG

For almost the same scenario, I loaded some rounds using a 98-grain swaged Speer .32 hollow based wadcutter, pushed by 2.0 grains of Bullseye.

This was a while ago; not certain whether Speer still sells the .32 wadcutters.

Given the situation, you know any load is going to be a compromise. The wadcutter pretty much guarantees that 100% of bullet energy will be transferred to the target, and a hit with a comparatively weak load is better than a miss with a magnum.

Jim March

Another vote for wadcutters if this is what you're stuck with. Absolutely.

You know, there IS an interesting alternative. Kel-tec has that 30-shot full-size 22Magnum autoloader, basically a redneck low-budget FN 5.7 :D. Light trigger, very low recoil, and she can send 30 rounds in the general direction of trouble :D.

Seriously, early reports are it's a pretty decent gun, doesn't seem to want to jam, has a lot of potential as a "granny defense piece". You'd have to likely load it and rack it for her but once it's ready to go it does have a safety, so...pick it up, get that safety off, let 'er RIP.

oneounceload

Ok, she says she wants to shoot. She can't shoot the 38. So telling her to ditch the 32 is stupid, to be blunt. Most DGUs are deterrent. Yeah, tell me about the zombie meth biker. How many are there?

For the vast majority of break-ins or attacks, hearing gun fire and rounds hitting him is so much better than no gun or shrieks before you die.

DING, DING, DING...we have a winner from someone who read the OP's first statement..if that is what she has, then suggesting a 38 is irresponsible...........get the 32SWL ammo available and take her to shoot to see how she does.....her best bet may be a good dog and pepper spray.....maybe, maybe not

Buzzcook

There isn't a lot of choice when it comes to .32 long. Even reloading won't give you an optimal round.

I don't totally disagree with a wad cutter in a .32. But conventional wisdom indicates that with a light round, penetration is more important than expansion.

So look for a round nose either jacketed or hardcast.

While we are on the subject of people with hand strength issues, tip up semi-autos such as the Beretta model 86 are supposedly easier to work. The trigger on a semi would also be easier to deal with for weak hands. The 86 is chambered for the somewhat more powerful .380 auto.

You've mention a few guns. The lady might be able to swap one or more of them straight across for a Beretta.

lashlaroe

I have almost the same situation with my FIL. He's 83 and has arthritis , etc, and can no longer handle the .38 snubby he used to use. I loaned him an old Colt in .32 SW Long, that has an easy grip and trigger pull and he can fire it.

He's not afraid to fire, having been in Korea and owning firearms all his life, so this is the best compromise for his situation.

Further, I have read hundreds of incidents regarding homeowners being attacked in their own homes. I notice that while some successfully defend themselves and put down an attacker/intruder, more often they only wound or even miss the attacker, but the BG flees the home. Sometimes being apprehended later, sometimes not.

Notice that the mere fact that the homeowner was armed and responded with force is usually enough to send them running. This is what we are after pretty much anyway, isn't it? Sure, it would be nice if all BG's could be downed or held for the legal system to handle, but then life's not always perfect.

We all have to make choices. Sometimes the choices that are at hand do not include the optimal solution. Then we have to make the most of our lemons.

OK, off my soapbox now. :D

xMINORxTHREATx

Wad cutters are going to be your only option. Back it up with this:

http://www.kimberamerica.com/shop/p...ec=2&jssCart=282e5d0c625785901d25cdc4b2231062

Shoot like a gun, but shoots OC.

Now this being said, how healthy is she, respiratory system wise? If something happens, and she sprays the OC, or even regular pepper spray, and a fan or wind blows even a slight mist back at her, she may have some serious problems on her hands.

And lets refrain from using the term "let er RIP" in this thread. Seems counter productive.

Last edited:

Bill DeShivs

You people really think that .32 S&W longs will bounce off? That's ridiculous.
.32 S&W l was actually a police round for many years. Unless you get a solid CNS hit, NO handgun round is a 100% stopper.
The little .32 sure beats harsh language.

michael t

32 been carried and used for many a year . But today its looked down on. I see no reason the lady shouldn't use the 32 . It beats silly pepper spray and screams . A hit from a 32 isn't what the BG wants He want no trouble just submit . Lots of people carry 32 auto today Kel Tec and Seecamp A 32 long be close to the 32 auto from these little guns.

xMINORxTHREATx

But if she has bad arthritis, who is to say that it doesn't flare up and she cant even pull the hammer back the day she needs it? Or if her hands are steady enough to make a good shot.

I know a gunshot period will more than likely scare off an intruder, but you never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.