Good red dot for polymer upper

15plus1

Hi folks,

Picked up an ATI omnimaxx a few months ago, has full polymer upper and lower receiver. I am looking for recommendations on a quality red dot sight.

Due to the thickness of the polymer on the rail portion of the upper receiver, not everything fits. Right now I have what is basically an airsoft red dot mounted, as it had the tolerances to mount on the receiver. I would like something better.

Does anyone own one and have a favorite sight?

GamestopDorito

The Holosun 510C is my go to "cheap but good" red dot. You can get one for under 300 and it has a quality build, an extremely long battery life, and shake awake illumination so you never have to even think about turning it on or off.

Warhammer

I have two Holosuns, an HS507C on my Shockwave and a HS503GU on my AK. Both are great sights that hold zero, have crazy battery life and I love the "shake awake" feature.

kymasabe

I'm running Sig Romeo4c on my primary rifle but would probably run a Romeo5 on my back up gun. They're in the $119 range...I think. Check PSA.

15plus1

Thanks for the advice!

I was considering a sig romeo, the other models are something I will look at.

How are the tolerances as to rail spec, as stated the polymer upper is a bit more bulky than aluminum. Any worries as to the fit? Or is there enough play in the mounting system?

Fishbed77

For true value, you will never do better than an Aimpoint PRO.

If you just want a cheap optic, I've had pretty good luck with the SIG Romeo5, which can be found for under $115. It's great for plinking, but I would never trust it for defensive use.

TrueBlue711

I second both the Sig Romeo and the Holosun. I have both and would trust them both for defense use. Battery life is just as good as Aimpoint. Aimpoint would win if you're diving into dirt berms avoiding enemy fire or if you're throwing your gun around like it's a $2 hammer.

How are the tolerances as to rail spec, as stated the polymer upper is a bit more bulky than aluminum. Any worries as to the fit? Or is there enough play in the mounting system?
You should be fine, but I never mounted it on a polymer upper and I'm not sure exactly how much bigger it is to an aluminum rail. Worst case, if it doesn't fit, return it and try another optic.

Fishbed77

Aimpoint would win if you're diving into dirt berms avoiding enemy fire or if you're throwing your gun around like it's a $2 hammer.

It also has clearer glass, a sharper dot, and easier-to-use controls.

I haven't had a chance to compare battery life between an Aimpoint PRO and a ROMEO5 yet (I've owned a PRO for over 8 years, versus 1 year for a ROMEO 5), but I feel the battery life of the PRO will be longer in practice. I leave it on all the time and I've changed its battery every 3 years, but not because it was dead... just as preventative maintenance.

Last edited:

JohnB1987

Around the same price range as the Aimpoint PRO, you may also want to consider the Trijicon MRO. I own both and personally prefer the MRO, mainly for its sight picture and that its housing obstructs less of your view.

They have similar battery life ratings otherwise. Here's a decent comparison between them https://gunpros.com/trijicon-mro-vs-aimpoint-pro/