Good Python Article

Nosreme

The new edition of the NRA's "Shooting Illustrated" magazine has an excellent article on Colt Pythons. It may eventually show up online, but right now it appears to be available only in print.

Nosreme

Description of how they were made, narratives from the Colt employees who designed it, timelines on the various iterations (barrel length, finishes, calibers, names) why they put a vented rib on top)...

Last edited:

Winchester_73

since its a "good" article does it mention how the gun is over rated or how it gained a reputation after a mysterious end to production?

Nosreme

Tempted as I am to ignore gratuitous sniping, yes the article talks about the gun's shortcomings and explains why it disappeared (and it wasn't mysterious).

Last edited:

Winchester_73

Tempted as I am to ignore gratuitous sniping, yes the article talks about the gun's shortcomings and explains why it disappeared (and it wasn't mysterious).

I'm not trying to bother you or anyone, but thats what I've observed and thats how many revolver enthusiasts feel about them. They are cool though, and are ever climbing in value. I hope to find a boxed specimen, preferably a 1955 gun, but the problem is, I don't want to pay for it ;)

skidder

I hope to find a boxed specimen, preferably a 1955 gun, but the problem is, I don't want to pay for it

Try an original Trooper. They are the basically the same gun with a different barrel. I recently purchased a 1967 357 for $380 and it's a sweet shooter. The lockup is rock solid and the action is like butter.

I cannot afford one so this is about as close as I'll ever get.

Last edited:

Winchester_73

Try an original Trooper. They are the basically the same gun with a different barrel. I recently purchased a 1967 357 for $380 and it's a sweet shooter. The lockup is rock solid and the action is like butter.

That's a good idea but I don't want it for the action or quality, I want it as a collector's item and investment. I actually have a 1954 38 special trooper, and everything you said is right on the money. Actually, IMO, its action is better than any Python I ever handled (dry fired) or shot. They're great, and still found often at a good value. Another winner is the model 357 (second pic) also from 1954 IIRC. It has the target hammer and grips.

GEDC0088-1.jpg

GEDC0001-4.jpg

skidder

Winchester_73--
Those things are sweet!
I agree, having a Python in the collection would be nice. I see now you've already figured out the alternative.
The Pythons are way out of my price range... I can feel the frying pan just thinking about it :D.
Here is the Trooper I just got on Sunday (my first Colt). Took it out yesterday and loved how it shot.

ColtLeft.jpg

Winchester_73

The Pythons are way out of my price range... I can feel the frying pan just thinking about it .
Here is the Trooper I just got on Sunday (my first Colt). Took it out yesterday and loved how it shot.

I know what you mean about Pythons. For the kind of money they cost today, you could get other 357s: 2 Rugers, 2 S&Ws or 2 DWs, or a combo. When I shoot my S&W 27, I don't long for any Pythons, that's for sure.

Since you like your 1960s era 357 Trooper (I assume 1960s, check out proofhouse.com for the year), you should be on the look out for a Colt Officer's Model Match in 22lr as a companion revolver. They were also made in 38 special. These came out in the post war years to compete with the venerable S&W K-22. I have both and I have a diamondback, and the diamondback is the caboose IMO. Between the OMM and K-22, its close, pretty much opinion. Here is mine, from 1956.

GEDC00502.jpg

Bob Wright

Here is my Python from 'way back when:

000_47881-1.jpg

When I bought this gun, there were stories to the effect that they would not hold up to heavy shooting. I put over 6,000 rounds of .357 stuff through this gun before trading it off. I swapped it off when I found a Colt SAA that had some sentimental to me, and I didn't have the money to buy it outright at the time.

Bob Wright

Bob Wright

or how it gained a reputation after a mysterious end to production?
Winchester 73, the TFL user that won the west

I think that's typical, guns become far more disirable after production ceases.

Bob Wright

(Actually, just learned how to post "quotes" and trying to see if it worked.)

Last edited:

Winchester_73

or how it gained a reputation after a mysterious end to production?

Bob Wright

(Actually, just learned how to post "quotes" and trying to see if it worked.)

Hi Bob. More practice is needed. Regarding the quoting of text, I highlight the text, right click "COPY" then paste it into my new post. I then click the quote speach bubble symbol. Works everytime.

What I was referring to was how, as I said in other threads, that the Python apparently became the best revolver ever made AFTER production which raises two questions in my mind: 1) How were they regarded when in production? (not the same as now, for sure) and 2) Why would Colt discontinue the best DA revolver of all time?

I've heard all of the BS reasons before, and in the end it comes down to money, and how the great the python actually was at the time to the buying public. Most people don't understand the truth about this whole Python saga.

Bob Wright

it comes down to money, and how the great the python actually was at the time to the buying public. Most people don't understand the truth about this whole Python saga.

Well, when I bought my Python, it was still in production, and cost $450. I shot the Python for the experience and study of the gun. But it didn't do anything in my battery that other guns couldn't do better. It came along too late for the bull's eye target crowd as the autoloaders were coming into vogue. It wasn't too well liked in the field as the more "rugged" guns did the job equally well or better. Four inch versions did do pretty well in police type matches, but the big news at that time was a S&W Model 19 fitted with a Python barrel, which led to the Model 586 and similar guns. But money, money, and more money was the cause of its demise. At leat that's my observation of the time.

Bob Wright

Skans

I hope to find a boxed specimen, preferably a 1955 gun,

If you are interested in 1st year production pythons, #39, LNIB sold for $8,257 in January of this year. Somebody got a steal! I wouldn't have considered parting with a gun like that for less than $13,000.

However, I do believe that Python values (accounting for inflation) will fall some over time. The demographics are pushing the value of Pythons. When the Boomers are done buying guns, there won't be as much interest in Pythons. Nice guns, I've got two, but there were millions made over the span of about 40+ years. I hope I live long enough to watch the Millenium generation throwing ridiculous sums of money at 1st generation Glocks!:eek:

Winchester_73

If you are interested in 1st year production pythons, #39, LNIB sold for $8,257 in January of this year. Somebody got a steal! I wouldn't have considered parting with a gun like that for less than $13,000.

Thats not really because of the first year status, but more so it was the 39th one, period. Most people have never saw or had one earlier than that. IIRC SNs for first year Pythons went over 500. I would be happy to have say SN 450, and no, it would not bring that kind of money, around half perhaps.

However, I do believe that Python values (accounting for inflation) will fall some over time. The demographics are pushing the value of Pythons. When the Boomers are done buying guns, there won't be as much interest in Pythons.

On the other hand, some baby boomers will buy more guns after they retire and most will have retired in the next 15 years. If you figure the retirement age to be about 65, and add in the fact that people live longer, and 80 years of age is no big deal, the Python prices (using that logic) and Colt DA revolver prices in general could be high for 30 or more years from now before they fall, if they ever do.

IMO some people predicted that Luger prices would fall as soon as the WWII generation passed on, but if anything, there is even more interest than before since original survivors are more and more uncommon. Lugers are more historic, but the theory is the same. Baby boomers do represent a high pct of the population so you might be right, someday far away IMO.

Jeff #111

I own a pre-WWII .38 Colt Officer Model Target (mfd. 1941) and a .38 Colt Trooper (mfd. 1960). Both are excellent shooters and the OM Target has an action that is amazing. I got both revolvers last November. The OM was $500.00 and the Trooper was $375. I paid cash for them so the dealers came down a little on the price.

Both revolvers are outstanding shooters and in very good shape. And the combined price of the two of them still wouldn't have covered the cost of one Python in so-so condition.

A Python would make a nice addition to my collection, but budget issues have to be taken into account. Which is why I like mid-size .38 Spl revolvers. They are more reasonably priced, easier to find and often in better shape than the second hand .357 magnums that I have looked at.

And yes I am aware of the fact that the OM and pre-Mk III Trooper has the same lockwork as the Python.

Last edited:

Bob Wright

The Python shared the same lockwork as the Officers Models before it, which were very fine revolvers in their own right. The Python was introduced to be a "deluxe" revolver, not a better revolver. Many of the Officers Model Match guns I have owned had actions just as good or even better, than the Python. And Colt Three Fifty Seven incorporated the .357 Magnum cartridge. The Python's intent was to be what the Packard was to automobiles.

Bob Wright