good pump action shotgun

CajunBass

I've used a Sears/Mossberg 500 for about 40 years without a complaint. I liked it well enough to buy another one in 20 ga a few years ago. The Remington 870 is another that a lot of people like. The Browning and Ithaca guns are good.

I suppose it depends on what you want, and how much you want to spend.

jmr40

None of the common pumps are a really bad choice. It comes down to the features, and price point most important to you. Browning, Benelli, Remington, Mossberg, Ithica and probably a few I forgot make good guns and different models selling at different price points.

My default choice is one of the Remington 870's.

BigJimP

Browning BPS Hunter model ...12ga, 28" barrel and changeable screw in chokes...is my choice...

They're cast neutral ( so they don't favor a leftie or right handed shooter), eject out of the bottom, safety is on top of the tang so its easy to reach with gloves on.../ dual action bars make the action really smooth...nothing not to like about this gun !!

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?fid=011B&cid=012&tid=211

They sell new for around $ 575 - $ 600 in my area.
----------

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=43354&d=1236031619

These are my BPS Hunter models I purchased in the late 1970's or so ....they've killed so many birds and clays.../ maybe 500,000 shells thru each of them by now ( they've been thru 2 boys, and at least 4 of the grandkids now as well...)....one is a 12ga and one is a 20ga...

the model has not changed much at all...

WCW

I have had a Winchester 1300 for a few years now, and for a cheap shotgun ($200.00 new at Walmart) it has been flawless. Actually the more I shoot it the better I like it. Works fine for trap and all the bird and small game hunting I do.

BamaMac54

I had a Remi 870 express, and it was great. I've got a Mossberg 835 now in the 24" 12 gauge setup, and I'll never let it go. You barely feel it shoot.

jonnyc

I got my Maverick 88 at Walmart for about $177. It stays under my bed with an 18.5" barrel, when it's resting from the hundreds of rounds I have through its 26" barrel on the trap range.

scrubcedar

+1 on the BPS. It was my first shotgun not too long ago.
Better action than the others, no question. Something I didn't think about until I fired it was the ejection difference. It's a little thing, but not having that shell zinging through your vision (it's a bottom eject) really helps with acquisition of the next target.
The smooth action means that it doesn't affect your swing nearly as much when you have to pump for repeat shots. I won't get technical as to why, but the muzzle rise when firing is noticeably less than it's competitors.
What this all means is the gun is not fighting you while you're learning to use it. As a noob this all turned out to be very important to me.

hodaka

If you can find an old J.C.Higgins (made by High Standard) Model 20 you will have a great pump. An oldee but a goodee. They were in 12 and 20 for sure.

You posted that you want a general purpose shotgun for hunting, skeet, and etcetera, but the title of your thread is about a pump. A pump can be used for skeet, but is not a great choice as skeet involves double targets. It can be done with a pump, but you may want a semi.

You may have meant busting clay in general by reference to skeet, instead of the formal game of skeet. In that case, a pump may be fine. Especially if you intend to shoot Trap, which is an entirely different game then "skeet" and the most common form (American Trap) involves single targets.

dgludwig

I think that the Browning BPS is the best pump-action shotgun being currently made. I like the bottom-ejection (closed-receiver), tang safety and all-steel construction features. It's a smooth operator, albeit on the heavy side, and pricier than most run-of-the mill Mossbergs and Remington Express models are.

BigD_in_FL

You may have meant busting clay in general by reference to skeet, instead of the formal game of skeet. In that case, a pump may be fine. Especially if you intend to shoot Trap, which is an entirely different game then "skeet" and the most common form (American Trap) involves single targets.

^^ agree........too many have no idea that there IS a difference

TB9

pasture trap. one of my all time favorite sports get a couple cases of wal-mart clays a bar-b-Q grill and some friends for an afternoon of fun in the sun. :D

Grant D

I have a Remington 870 Wingmaster with a modified choke that works great for skeet, trap, and dove hunting.

Doug S

I know it's nothing special, but I just bought a "cheap" Maverick 88, and I have to say it seems like a very decent gun. I've owned two Mossbergs, and the Maverick seems to be their equal. No complaints, and very economical.