Good Priced HD Pump Shotguns?

Is $200 for a Mossberg 500 Persuader 12GA 20" 8+1 pistol grip good price? The only place with 8+1 I found is CDNN. If you know a place with better shotgun deals plz let me know. Thanks.

Andrew Wyatt

mossberg persuaders are 7+1, and big five has them for around that much.

Don't buy one with a pistol grip. shotguns need a stock of some kind.

Thanks for the info. I haven't been to Big5 yet. If I get the pistol grip, I'm thinking of getting a top folding stock for it. Would it make shooting 12GA any easier?

Andrew Wyatt

FOlding stocks and the mossberg safety don't mix.

a normal fixed stock is about the best for controlling recoil, and if it's too long, you can just cut it to size.

I'd buy a stock 500 persuader, replace the safety button with a metal one from brownells, and make sure the stock fits.

that's all you need for a good general purpose shotgun.

I recently adjusted the drop on my mossberg by shimming the stock/reciever joint to dreduce the drop and put a chunk of mousepad on the comb. now the ghostring sights come immediately to the eye when i shoulder it.

Correia

Top folding stocks suck to shoot. They are uncomfortable, and they are difficult to get a good cheek weld on. Plus if you are looking for a gun on a budget, good folding stocks ain't cheap.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
PGs on shotguns are egregious, and folders not far behind. Get a fitted wood or plastic stock and practice with it. Short time later, you're deadly.

dfaugh

I have (side) folding PG synthetic stock on my Mossberg, agree with all comments above...NOt conducive to accurate shooting...HOWEVER, I don't plan on shooting MOA groups with the bloody thing (HD = 00 buck, mostly), and folded, whole gun only 27" long (still 7+1)...PG inconvenient for Mossberg safety, but you get used to it...I actually NEED front PG, as its hard to hang onto slide, if fired from hip, w/stock folded (although I'm using 3" magnum shells, not a problem w/ lesser rounds)

Andrew Wyatt

I can't think of any situation where firing a shotgun from the hip is a good idea.

I can see where a ftont pistol grip might be useful if you have a rear pistol grip with a shoulder stock and want to use the same firing grip with your shotgun as you do with your m-4.

a conventional fixed stock is the hot setup for anything you're going to use a shotgun for.