Good price on older ADL ?

jrhilde

Stopped by one of my LGS's today and found a nearly pristine ADL in .270 for $399---has one or two very small marks on stock that have to be pointed out to see them, all the blueing is superb, stock finish is very good and bore looks like new---my only question is that it has a round bolt knob rather than the common flattened style that I've had on all my other 700's--could this still be a factory bolt knob? I know it would help if I had thought to get the serial number, but didn't think of it at the time---also, would this be a fair price for a very nice ADL ?
Not to sure I want to let this one get away so I'm looking for some value opinions---I might just drive back down Monday morning and grab it---

John

PetahW

[it has a round bolt knob rather than the common flattened style that I've had on all my other 700's]

It's a Model 721, or it's a Model 700 with a Model 721 bolt - Either way, $400 is all the money for one, about $50 more than I'd be willing to pay for it. (presuming the headspace's ok)

mrawesome22

Or someone broke the original bolt trying to beat it with a hammer trying to get it open from an extremely over pressure round.

Think I'd pass.

jrhilde

don't think it's a 721 due to says 700 right on the side of the action as it should---I'm not trying to talk myself into it as much as it really looks very choice and one of the countermen owned it for years--it's also very likely the cash price will be closer to $350---one other thing, the bolt body is jeweled and i've never seen that on an ADL before---I'll check with them and see if they have some ideas on the bolt thing, but you may be right, the entire bolt may have been replaced--that would be a red flag----

Lloyd Smale

Like was said. Its not a rip off price but its not a bargin either. It would have to be closer to 300 to get my interest

old roper

The Remington factory bolts on the 700 have same serial # as rifle it's on the underside bolt body.

Sound like it's almost a Rem Model 78 Sportsman they made that in 4 caliber one was the 270 had the small round bolt knob wood stock ADL 1984 to 1989. Action same as 700 different bolt and those bolt have same serial # as rifle.

If bolt has same serial # hard to figure someone just change to different style bolt handle but it happens. If you don't find serial # buyer beware.

PawPaw

I've also got an older 700 ADL with the round bolt knob. I bought it off a used gun rack several years ago, paid $400.00 for it, but it came mounted with a Leupold scope. The date stamp on the barrel says that it was assembled in August, 1983. The serial number on the bolt matches the serial number on the receiver and it is mounted with iron sights.

Rem700%2B01.jpg

I showed it to by brother-in-law who is a Rem700 guru and he says he's never seen one with the round bolt knob. Yet, there it is. It appears to be all original with matching numbers and it shoots just fine. I'm wondering if this rifle isnt' a one-off that Remington made in 1983 to complete a big order from a distributor.

ndking1126

Wow, looks like I've always just lived in the wrong place.. $400 for a great looking older ADL is a pretty decent price. Don't get me wrong, I don't think an ADL should go for that much and that's why I've never bought one. But I can honestly say I've never seen a used ADL in good shape for $300 sitting on a rack at a LGS. I bought my ADL new for $360 back in '93, '94 :eek:

If you can verify its still works as well as it looks, I would say its probably a good buy.

PetahW

It's E-Z to play price/numbers online.

I only paid $95 for my .243 M700ADL Carbine - but, heck, that was just after my honorable discharge in 1966. :p

jrhilde

very good info---I'll run into town tomorrow and check to see if the serial numbers match, plus really check it out and find out what the "cash in hand right now" price is------thanks again---John

Muscrat

I just traded for a rem 700 ADL in .243. Serial number says built in 1984. It has no provision for open sights and the bolt knob is a ball. You can't tell the gun from a new. It's that flawless. Has a trigger job and is pillar bedded already. It was priced at $569.

jrhilde

Went down yesterday and got it--I had previously asked them to check to see if the bolt number matched the serial and it did---it's very obviously a Remington 700 bolt with the exception of the handle knob---gun really is in great shape and it was $400 out the door plus two boxes of factory ammo so I feel it was fair enough---now I'm lining up bases and rings and then off to the range---I'm putting a Bushnell 4200 series on it so I'm expecting some decent accuracy and hoping I'll have a very dependable coyote rifle---I know it's a bit much for the coyotes, but better more than not enough and of course it'll double as a deer and pig gun---I've read that the 130 grainers are real performers in a 270 so we'll see------John