Good powder for 55gr bullets in .243?

YosemiteSam357

I've been doing load development for a .243 using Nosler 95gr ballistic tips, where I found IMR3031 to work really well. Now I'm trying to work up a load using Nosler 55gr b-tips in the same caliber. I have found H414 to work "ok", but it's hard to find this powder locally. Does anyone have suggestions for another powder to try? Should I be looking at slower or faster (than 3031) powders?

Also, does anyone have a good OAL to use for 55gr in .243? I've been seating them to 2.630" since that gives me about a caliber's width depth, but this is pretty deep. Max OAL for this round is 2.710", but I can't get near that (or the lands) due to the short bullet. I do have a OAL gauge, and "on the lands" with this bullet is completely out of the case...

Thanks in advance,

-- Sam

Ffej backwards

Sam,

Here Are The Powders I've Had Good Luck With Using A 58 Gr. V-max.

Varget
N140
Imr 4064

All Three Performed Well, But Varget Did The Best, And On Down The Line.

Jeff

tcshooter52

Sam

I have used Varget quit a bit in the .223, .22-250, .243, and 30-06 with excellent results. Groups with all calibers has been under .5. My 30-06 is printing .75 @ 100 yds and this a factory 700 ADL. Try it, I think you will like it.

John :)

encore

powder for 243

ive always got good results with light weight bullets in the 243 using H380 powder