Good Powder/Bullet combos for hunting, .308 Winchester

hooligan1

Title says everthing, looking for Hunting bullet/powder combos, not powder weights, just good combos. Please and thank you.

gb_in_ga

There's been lots of meat put in the freezer with a 150 gr Nosler Partition and between 41.0 and 43.0 gr (depending on the rifle) of 3031. The Speer Hot-Cor also works well in the same weight.

hgmeyer

I am very impressed with the Nosler Accubonds. I have used 150gr Partitions for years with great success, but switched to Accubonds based on Nosler's representation that the Accubonds have a wider range of velocity performance.

I would use Accubonds and/or Partitions for heavier game animals and Ballistic Tips for Deer.

Varget and other powders work well. The .308 is "friendly" with a fair range of powders.

Here is the load data from Nosler...

http://www.nosler.com/308-winchester

Last edited:

jmr40

My favorite 308 powder is Varget, followed closely by Reloder 15. I've done well with 4064, 3031, TAC, and 4895. You can get good results with a lot of powders in a 308.

You don't say what for, but almost any good bullet will work. I've been impressed with 130 gr TTSX's @ 3050 fps. But I've also gotten very good results with 155 Gr Bergers, as well as almost any 150-165 gr bullet from all of the major bullet makers.

Not too long ago, my shooting partner and I worked up a good load for this deer season with the 150 gr. Ballistic Tip over 44.5 grs. of TAC. Velocity is 2819 FPS from his 22" Savage M11. Best groups are 5/8" at a hundred yards. This is about factory load level performance or a little better and it's a comfortable load to shoot. We also have Varget and W748, but it just hasn't been necessary to try to improve over the TAC load. ;)

A_Gamehog

IMR8208 powder
Wolf LRP
Lapua Brass
130 Gr. Barnes TTSX
Light crimp (lee die)
3100+ FPS

Very good groups @ 300 yards. Savage 1-10 Twist, it's longer than a 150 Sierra MK. It shoots very flat, with a 200 yard Zero I can hold on a 3" Clay Pigeon at 12 O'Clock and hit it every time. No need for "gadgets" range finders, fancy X-hairs. Stable in the hot 105 summer and cold -9 winter.

Left to right:
125 Speer HP
125 Nosler BT
147 FMJ
150 Sierra MK
130 Barnes TTSX

IMG_0542.jpg

Last edited:

CS86

Varget powder seems to be popular so it is one I started with. A classic powder that has been around for awhile and recommended by others is 4064. I think you will have good luck with about any bullet choice, but the weight that seems to be a solid choice I believe would be a 168gr or 178gr. I've been Using Varget with Hornady 168gr A-Max bullets and getting 1/2" groups at 100yds., and about 3" groups at 300 yds. It kind of depends on what you are trying to load for.

hooligan1

Man I appreciate the info, there are so many combos, that when I start data work I should be fine.
I'm really wanting five bullet/powder combos for hunting in and around open timber tracks and cornfield edges as well as open pastures.. I think I can extrude enough info here to get a hell of a start, Thanks fellas I appreciate the time and effort from you all no foolin...:)

gwpercle

Varget and Berger VLD's won the top accuracy contest in an extensive test done up in Handloader Magazine a few years ago. I don't reload for 308 ( yet ) but I kept the issue for that report. Finding it is another matter but I was impressed by the test and even try to find Varget every time I go to a dealer ....still looking .

Gary

Mike / Tx

I must be an outcast here Varget simply sucked pond water with every combo I tried in my .308.

That said I haven't found a load yet using H-4895 that shot worse than 1.5" at 100yds. I have loaded it starting with the youth 125gr loads at just over 2300fps up to 165gr loads running right up to around 2650fps and they all shot good enough to put meat in the freezer.

4runnerman

My favorite 308 powder is Varget, followed closely by Reloder 15. I've done well with 4064, 3031, TAC, and 4895. You can get good results with a lot of powders in a 308.

What JMR40 says here. I just switch varget and rl-15 around. His last sentence is right on the money