good place to carry handgun in pickup

troy_mclure

ive got a holster jammed inbetween the seats ziptied to the middle seat belt. its imposible to see unless you are right on top of it.

Milspec

Secured in a holster on your person when you're in the vehicle. In a lock box cabled to a seat frame when you're not... :)

Milspec

ISC

why are you carrying it and what are the laws governing it in your state. I am getting a hipoint to keep in a storage compartment with the jack. I usually carry my keltec or NAA .22, but only carry about 1/2 of the time. If something happens and my sons, girlfriend, or I need a weapon I'll be able to get one.

If you want to access it more quickly then that wouldn't work. Florida law says that if you don't have a permit, a weapon must be securely encased and not immediately accessible. That means in a container or snapped/velcroed holster and in a place that can't be reached while you are behind the wheel. Under the passenger seat in a holster that is vecroed to the carpet worked for me for years.

mellow_c

I'm with Milspec.

Although I cant decide if I'd want the safe on a cable through the seat frame, or bolted to the floor of the truck. Drilling holes is not bad, and VERY secure. But with a cable you could remove the safe easily to make room for other things... or if you were to sell your truck. Maybe a seriously awesome cable and safe with your seats bolted down tight. Carry on your person when in the truck, and store in the safe if you have to leave your gun in the tuck, like if your going too a government city building, a college, a public school, or even a mall that is a "gun free zone"..., .:(

I dont have a permit yet, so this makes no difference to me right now. Well, I guess it would if I were to open carry more (OC is leagal here in colorado *but not in Denver!!!!*)

Just make sure that if you have a safe in your truck, you cover it ALWAYS. You dont want someone to know your truck and then plan an attack with bolt cutters to steal "whatever is in your safe"!:confused:

Last edited:
I keep mine here...:)

TS1.jpg

TS4.jpg

cjw3cma

The center console in my truck (2001 F-150 King Ranch) has a storage spot on the inside of the lid that holds a 6-CD cartridge but it now has a Don Hume holster holding my S&W40V with a couple of full mags

Creature

You should never travel in any vehicle with a "loose" weapon. Keep your weapon secured in a latched box or on your person in a holster ALWAYS. I have seen the aftermath of far too many motor vehicle accidents to carry my weapon loose ever again. It is always a surprise to see how far loose gear can be ejected from a motor vehicle during a wreck.

rshackleford

You should never travel in any vehicle with a "loose" weapon. Keep your weapon secured in a latched box or on your person in a holster ALWAYS. I have seen the aftermath of far too many motor vehicle accidents to carry my weapon loose ever again. It is always a surprise to see how far loose gear can be ejected from a motor vehicle during a wreck.

that seems like sound advice.

cjw3cma

The center console in my truck (2001 F-150 King Ranch) has a storage spot on the inside of the lid that holds a 6-CD cartridge but it now has a Don Hume holster holding my S&W40V with a couple of full mags

rshackleford

are there products which make this easy or does it always require zip ties and the like? i have a cwp, so i am interested in easy access to my handgun in case of emergency. i do not need to have it locked and out of reach.

Creature

that seems like sound advice.

The same goes for your wallet and cellphone. If you regularly keep them in that little console cubbyhole in your dashboard, you're 99% likely to loose them both for good during a wreck. They will end up strewn across the street several, if not tens, of yards away where you are not likely to be able to find them. Your cellphone and your wallet may just save your life...if the police or EMT's are able to recover them them on your person. Keep them both SECURELY on your person.

Also, be sure to make a "ICE" (in case of emergency) entry in your cellphone's contact directory. Your ICE entry is your contact person for the police to call in the event you are involved in a wreck and/or found unconscious and are unable to inform the medical personnel of any allergies and special medical conditions and medicines you are on or require.

chris in va

Don't EVER leave the gun unattended unless it's very securely locked up like PP's rig. This is one reason why felons get hold of our guns and sell them on the black market. Same for the home.

EDIT: Aaaand I see the last two posters said the same thing.

Tired Retired

I found "the spot"

My Chevy Pickup (1500) has a "hole" in between the driver's seat and the next section of bench seat. It is where the seat belt buckle snaps. When I first got the truck, I kept getting mad because when I dropped anything, the item seemed to gravitate into the "hole" and get lost under the seat somewhere. Well, one day I noticed that the "hole' was perfect for a pistol. So it became "the spot". I can use an inexpensive thumb break waistband holster which clips to the side of the seat. The pistol is very secure because the holster is attached securely to the seat frame and it is also can not be seen by anyone looking. More importantly, if carjacked, the zoomie will have to get me out of my seatbelt before he can sit down and drive. Darn if I don't have to put my hand on the pistol to get the seatbelt undone! When out of the truck, it either goes with me or gets locked in a small box.

Last edited:

zebulonsmith

Secured in a holster on your person when you're in the vehicle. In a lock box cabled to a seat frame when you're not...

Local sheriff told me they changed that with last year's updates to the law. You can now put it in a glove box or console (locked or not) so long as it's in a holster.