good or bad

1chig

I went to load up some 357 147gn hp cast boolits this morning,, im out of mag primers. Could i sub. regular small primers and still be ok? I took a trip to my local reloading shop yesterday,, there closed up:( Any help please.

Qtiphky

I use regular small pistol primers in my 357 loads. You didn't mention what powder or load it was, but it should still work.

1chig

i was going to try bullseye for them arround 4.6 to start ,, any suggestions, went to get some 2400 yesterday but that didnt work.

overkill0084

^^ Standard Small pistol are just fine for Bullseye, but then my Bullseye loads are done on .38 special brass. I only use the Magnum primers for my heavy 2400 loads. I'm not sure that they are even absolutely necessary for that.

k4swb

I have never found the need for magnum primers in any handgun calibers I load for up to and including heavy .44 magnum loads with W296/H110.

^^^^ Yup. Never used a magnum pistol primer in my life. People claim you may get more consistent velocities with the slower burning powders, but I have not found that to be true in my experience.

Scorch

With cast bullets you want relatively mild loads, so I would say you should actually prefer standard primers.

Scorch

With cast bullets you want relatively mild loads

Why?
Because hot-burning powders will cause gas cutting at the bullet base, which will affect accuracy and cause leading. Also, since most cast bullet shooters try to keep their loads below about 1,200 fps, you don't need hot loads. These reasons are why most well-versed cast bullet shooters use "standard" powders (Bullseye, Unique, Universal, etc) which don't require magnum primers (unlike W296, Blue Dot, etc).

1chig

well i loaded tem up and shot them, started with 4.6 bullseye and ended with 5.8,, shot pretty good,, a little high. Im gonna try and get them better but not today . WAY to windy. Small primers are working good:)

375bigbore

357 primers

I found a good solution about 15 years back I load all my 357 with small rifle primers and some with match grade. found better ign and more consistant through the chrony but advise to back your load down about a half grain and work back up.

Because hot-burning powders will cause gas cutting at the bullet base, which will affect accuracy and cause leading.

Gas cutting does not occur at the base of the bullet, it occurs on the bearing surface. And gas cutting won't occur if your bullet fits your bore.

Also, since most cast bullet shooters try to keep their loads below about 1,200 fps, you don't need hot loads.

You are telling me that most bullet casters keep their loads below 1200 fps!? How can you say this?

These reasons are why most well-versed cast bullet shooters use "standard" powders (Bullseye, Unique, Universal, etc) which don't require magnum primers (unlike W296, Blue Dot, etc).

Now this is flat out FUNNY!

I guess I am not a "well-versed" caster. :(

DiscoRacing

I C H...is rough tonight:p

I havent used small pistol mags...

>>. but I have used large rifle mags in some pistols(since they told me to):rolleyes:

mc223

I C H...is rough tonight

We need more ICHs to help stop the relentless spread of BS on the forums like this one.:D

I use small rifle primers because they just set off those charges of 2400 with cast bullets well over 1200fps better. I like the light show with 2400 too.

Last edited:

That'll Do

I.C.H. is correct on all points. There's too many misconceptions about cast bullets. You can drive them a lot harder than people think. I push plain based 158gr bullets past 1200fps in my 357's without the slightest bit of leading. Bullet fit is key, then hardness.

As far as primers go, magnum primers are NOT necessary in the majority of 357 Magnum loads. W296/H110 do require magnum primers, but 2400 does not, nor do any of the "common" powders used for lower power loads (Bullseye, 231, Unique, Universal, etc etc).

GP100man

Stir away !!

The more the better (& no I`m not a troll out trollin) It`s just so much myth & mystery that floats around shooting lead bullets that it sometimes has to be cleared up !!!

It`s like That`ll Do said everybody gets caught up in the harder is better !!!Then wonder why there 22bhn bullets have leaded the bore from stem to stern !!!!

But fit is King , hardness is queen, & lube is the joker !!! an old man & obviously card player told me yrs. ago , rite after the dust settled from making dirt :rolleyes:

It probably took me a truck load of alloys to learn what he was saying but when it finally sank in I cut my casting cost in 1/2 almost !!!!

Oh yea , 1chig it don`t get cold enuff for us to NEED mag primers down here , but I`ve seen some impressive SDs with the chrono useing SR primers , they`ll lite wet noodles !!!

Here`s a kiker CCI 550s use the same thickness cups as CCI 400s !!

When I needed some primers to tide me over (too skeptical to take some out of storage) all I could find was CCI400, so what the hey I`ll back off the charge & roll on !!!:D