Good Old Days

cbm1948

My wife and I were moving my old gun cabinet today, in prep for painting, behind the cabinet covered in dust was a box of Winchester 45 Auto 185Gr Silvertip HP. The price sticker was still attached, $12.95 for 20, I had purchased these in a small south GA town of Pembroke when I was traveling down that way. $12.99 at a small hardware store in a small town so the price was most likely high for the big box stores. I would hate to pay the price for them now if you could find any. Just thought I would share.

Clint

Elvishead

Yeah, that might have been high for the time, but considering were you got them.

Last month I ran across some Rem. Golden Sabers .45acp 185g +P's for $18.00 a box of 25. So I bought two box's, and I don't even own a 45!

But when, and if I ever do, I will have a similar story as your. Just thought I'd share too.:D

Great story, I love to hear those long lost ammo stories, as I have a few myself.

PS: I have some 41mag ammo I don't need.

mrt949

Digging in old pistol case's found FEDERAL LIGHTING 22LR AT $0.88 A box.Wish I had a few bricks now.:D

gwnorth

I bought 3x20rnd boxes of winchester 185gr .45acp silvertips 3 weeks for $19.99/box. The were $2 cheaper per box then the Hornady 200gr XTPs sitting next to them on the shelf.

Same store this week doesn't have any winchester nor Hornady, but plenty of Speer Gold Dots (in most calibers, including lots of 9mm).

I'm not denying the ammo shortage, but just pointing out it varies a huge deal across the country. Charlottesville WalMart has not had any handgun ammo to speak of for months. But just down the street at the only real local gun store (Woodbrook Sports), I have always managed to find both target and SD loads in 9mm, .45acp. They have less then then used to have on hand a year ago, but if they are out one week, they'll likely have a bunch in the next, and so it has gone since the new year. Far rarer has been .38spl & .357 - those seem to be the really rare stuff around here for the past several months.

Rangegod

Good Old Days??

Must be a matter or perspective. To me Silvertips are a rather recent development and a 20 round box is a very recent change. Of course my definition of the "good old days" is pre-60's.

JAC

brolin_1911a1

I just looked at the box of 20 Hornady .45ACP 185gr. JHP/XTP sitting next to my computer monitor. The price tag on it says $10.00. I don't remember when or where I bought them but I know I thought it was a high price at the time.

SAIGAFISH

here is some good old days ammo for ya. my grandfather 86 years old
just gave me an old overunder that he got when he was 12 .
with it came 3 boxes of 410 that i think came as original ammo.
paper shells.