Good news to 10mm semi auto fans !

WIN1886

Federal ammunition is going to introduce their own full power 10mm load using nickel -plated cases , 180 grain Trophy Bonded JSP bullets , and muzzle velocity advertised at 1275 fps ! I'm stoked because Federal ammunition is what I generally use and I want a 10mm semi-auto now more than ever ! :cool: Thought I'd share !

Sevens

Sounds good, I hope it actually happens.

What's funny to me is that if they actually -HIT- that velocity number you posted, it would be churning up like two hundred feet per second faster than the 180gr "premium" Hydra-Shock load they've offered, in the cheap 20-rd and horrendously over-price product they've offered the market since the 1980s.

200fps is no small jump in a handgun load. And it says far more about the crappy load they've offered for so long than it says about the new product.

Ruger480

That's gonna make all 11 of them really happy

12! I just picked mine up yesterday!!! EAA Witness full size.

Pics will come later after I've had a chance to clean it up. I think EAA bathed it in grease before they shipped it.

Mike_Fontenot

My experience with Federal loads is that they have been far below the max spec of the calibers I have shot. That was welcome in my 11oz S&W360sc .357 scandium/titanium snubby (although at the time, I THOUGHT that was full-power .357 ammo) ... no way would I want to shoot what I now know is full-power .357 in that gun. But in my 3" S&W60-15 all-steel JFrame (about twice as heavy as the 360sc), the full-power stuff is fine. And I like full-power ammo in my full-size, all-steel 10mm Kimber Eclipse Custom II (which is about 50% heavier than my 60-15, and about 3-1/2 times heavier than my 360sc). The ultralight 360sc is wonderful to carry, but "heavy is nice" when it comes to the shooting part.

Jimmy10mm

I've got a gold cup in 10 and a G-20. I'd shoot them in the Glock but probably not in the Colt. Better safe than sorry.

LockedBreech

ATK (Federal/Speer) is my favorite, nearly exclusive choice, but this is good news, the 180-grain load they've had in Hydra-Shok has been a joke. I believe it's almost identical in spec to the 180-grain .40 S&W load.

jmr40

That isn't all that hot. Just about what the original factory loads called for. There are seveal commercial loads with 180's at over 1300 fps. My G-20 chronographs Double Tap 200 gr ammo @ 1315 fps. Norma's original load had 200 gr at over 1200 fps.

But I'm glad to see more options for loads that are not watered down.

Mike_Fontenot

jmr40 said:
My G-20 chronographs Double Tap 200 gr ammo @ 1315 fps.

Are you sure that your chronograph is accurate? That sounds high to me, for anything (Underwood, BuffaloBore, or DoubleTap). DoubleTap and Underwood both claim 1250 f/s, and my impression is been that DoubleTap actually is not quite as hot as Underwood (but I carry DoubleTap exclusively, because it runs better in my gun, and is plenty hot, I think). BuffaloBore doesn't list a 200gr JHP, but their 200gr FMJ is listed at 1200 f/s. And DoubleTap's 180gr is listed at 1305 f/s, which I suspect is also a little overly optimistic ... Underwood's 180gr is listed at 1300 f/s, which I suspect is probably pretty close to actual. I suspect your chronograph was reading high for some reason.

JERRYS.

im a 10mm fan but im not impressed by a jacket SOFT POINT 180gr. @ 1,275 fps, particularly at their prices; not when you can get Underwood ammo.

I could hunt with that load, and a SP probably shouldn't be sneered at for self defense, if penetration is also part of the desired package. And THAT is why I like the 10mm over the .45ACP: penetration.

Mike_Fontenot

JERRYS. said:
im a 10mm fan but im not impressed by a jacket SOFT POINT 180gr. @ 1,275 fps, particularly at their prices;

I once shot a 210gr SP .41Mag through a railroad tie (6" direction), and it came out at very low speed and bounced off a fence post behind the tie. It had mushroomed perfectly, and had a diameter of about 1"!! Of course, the muzzle velocity of that gun/ammo was up around 1500 f/s or so, as best I recall ... wouldn't happen near 1300f/s, I suspect.

WIN1886

No doubt , there are hotter loads offered for the 10mm but as mentioned it is another choice ! The "Trophy Bonded JSP" is supposed to be tougher than your average JSP....so for the mere mortal whitetails in MN it should be plenty good ! I have used Buffalo Bore 180 grain hardcast loads in my .357 that are advertised as hotter as well ! I'm just passing on the news and I'm hoping the advertised velocity is at least close to being accurate !

rock185

I've owned 10MMs since the early Bren Ten days. I'm glad to hear that a major American manufacturer is adding an actual full power, or nearly so, 10MM load. Btw, I chronograped a fair amount of 10MM over the years, to include the Old Norma, Cor Bon, Buffalo Bore, Winchester, Remington, handloads, etc. The old Norma 200 grain did do 1200 fps, or a little more, in all but one of my 5" guns. The Norma 170 grain ran around 1300. Cor-Bon 135 grain, advertised at 1450 fps at the time, averaged 1475 fps in the 5" auto, and 1485 fps in a 5" revolver. The Buffalo Bore 180 grain averaged 1320+, samples from a second box later averaged 1350+ in a 5" auto. I don't know if the lot numbers were different. I chronographed some Buffalo Bore .357 180 grain in 4," 5" and 5.5" revolvers. One 4"=1384 fps, another 4"=1430 fps, 5"=1436 fps and the 5.5"= 1514 fps!!! Without a doubt, other's guns,even by the same manufactuerers, and with the same barrel lengths as my guns, would produce different velocities, by a little or a lot. I think the Buffalo Bore ammo is certainly in the ballpark with their advertised velocities...ymmv

Last edited:

KyJim

I'm also glad to see another available load from a major manufacturer. The more the merrier. I do have one question (sorry for the thread drift, here). Why do virtually all the FMJ loads of 10mm come in a flat nose profile, rather than round nose? I would think that in some pistols, the round nose is going to be more reliable.

RickB

When the ammo cupboard is bare at most stores, what's the point of introducing a new product? Another load that we won't be able to buy?

Mike_Fontenot

KyJim said:
Why do virtually all the FMJ loads of 10mm come in a flat nose profile, rather than round nose? I would think that in some pistols, the round nose is going to be more reliable.

I agree that probably nothing will feed as well as a round-nose. My guess, as to why most FMJ are flat-nosed, is that a round-nose doesn't CUT out a circular hole when it hits a target ... it just makes a few radial tears and pushes its way through. I used to shoot a lot of American Eagle .38(non-plus-P) FMJ round-noses for practice in my 360sc .357 snubby, and it was hard to see the holes in the target. The flat-nose FMJ's cut a circular hole in the target, much like a wadcutter.

Noreaster

Sig Sauer is starting their own ammunition manufacturing. I'll be interested to see what they offer and at what price. It will probably be geared toward practise and defensive ammunition. This may give new life to the 357 Sig. Maybe we'll see a Sig 1911 offered in 10mm.