Good Manual

Jekyll

I have 2 manuals and am looking for a newer manual. I would like some recommendations on a good manual to buy.

I have:
Speer #10 from 1979
Sierra Second Edition from 1978

I guess it is time to get up to date. I'm OK with my older manuals for the rifles with the exception of 30-06 for the M1 Garand. Neither manual seems to break out specific loads or issues for the M1.

I'm loading for 9mm, 38/.357, .44 rem mag and M1 Carbine. I expect to add .45LC and .45 ACP. Cast and jacketed bullets where appropriate.

jamaica

Yes, the Lyman 49th is a good one.

I also recently bought the "Honady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading" since I use lots of Hornady bullets.

Sam06

For what you are loading I would concur that the Lyman is the best!

If I could just have one manual(God forbid) It would be the Sierra Manual. But I shoot Rifle's more than pistols and experiment with Rifles a whole lot more. In Pistols once I find a good load with my cast bullets I stick with it till the powder is either changed or is not made anymore. I still have about 3#'s of Alcan Number 5 I am hording for use in the 44 spl:eek: I don't think they have made alcan powder in 30 years:(

Get the Lyman its a good one!

Jekyll

Thanks all. You all told me what I suspected. I'm heading to Cabela's in about 5 munites. Anyone need me to pick up something for them ;)

Namerifrats

Anybody use any of those LoadBooks USA manuals? They are by caliber and supposed to be a collection of data from several different load manuals for that particular caliber.

Sam06

I get a Loadbook for each cartridge I load for. They are cheap and have a good amount of data. They keep up with the changes fairly well also. If you want "just" Data they are the way to go. If you want the how to's and stories they don't have that info in them. There is no Ballistic data either.

If you shoot a T/C they have 2 out that just deal the the Contender loads and are very good to have. I highly recommend them.

Jekyll

I purchased the Lyman 49 last night. It is pretty complete. Cabela's on the other hand was out of most things for relaoding and general ammo as well. About all they had for primers were #209. The shot gun loaders are in luck but not handgunners and riflemen.

Thanks to all, especially to 73-Captain for the informative PM.

James R. Burke

I have a few that are the general type one's, and I try to get one for the make of the bullet I will be using. I update them about every two years. I have alot of them, but it is nice to double check on loads, or look back on some. Sure can't hurt to have two many. My wife about kills me every time I tell her I am getting a new one.

My primary go to reloading manuals are the Lyman and the Hornady.

What one doesn't have the other often does.

I also make frequent use of powder manufacturer's websites, printing off specific pages from their on-line reloading resources.