Good loads for remington 700 SPS tactical .308

srkavanagh6621

So I'm pretty new to the reloading game and enjoy it very much. I have been experimenting with some different loads and such and figured i would just ask and see if anyone has good advice for a powder with the shorter 20" barrel. Also good bullets for deer hunting ( I have been looking at Barnes Triple Shock 168 grains) Either way i want accuracy first and foremost and would like advice from you guys, because i know you have experience which is hard to beat. Also i enjoy coyote hunting so maybe a bullet that will fragment on impact and get maximum damage. Thanks for the advice guys i will be looking forward to what you have to say!

Zak77

I have that exact same Rem700 and it is quite amazing how accurate it is. I broke it in using Federal 168gr Match ammo and was getting about .4-.5" groups at 100yds which was quite good but not great. I wanted to use 168gr BTHP but my local shop was out and the gunsmith there recommended 180gr BTHP. It took me a while to get the right load but I am VERY pleased with this.

42.0 gr IMR 4064, Fed210, 180gr BTHP

I'm averaging just over .25" center to center with my smallest group being .22" center to center. I ran out of 180 and am now loading up some 155 but they are not matching what the 180's did yet.

Attachments

• IMG00010.jpg
    IMG00010.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 121

srkavanagh6621

well thanks for the advice it should help a lot! I have actually had better luck with the 180's myself! but am open to trying anything new!

dodge

Out of my Winchester 308 I use 45 grs Varget with the Sierra 165 BTSP. Altough this is a sporter wieght barrel I still get groups under an inch sometimes with three rounds touching each other at 100 yards. If I had a heavy barrel this is the load I would try first.