Good Leupold for a .300 Win Mag?

.357SIG

I have a VX-II 3-9x40mm mounted to my .300 Win Mag Rem. 700 right now, but I want to put it on my 10/22. Which scope should I buy for the Remington to replace the old scope?

I want a VX-III, but I would like to know what power setting and what reticle wouls be best for general purposes (hunting and target shooting). I will likely never use it past 300 yards, but who knows.

My current scope is gloss black, but my rifle is the 700 LSS with the gray wood/stainless barrel. Scope needs to be silver to look right.

Thank you.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Another vote for duplex crosshairs, where hunting is a main use. I've never had any problems at 100 yards on paper with them.

If you do any walking/stalking in your hunting, you'll have a scope down on minimum magnification, so 3x9 is plenty. 3x10, whatever.

I'm still doing fine with 30-year-old Leupold Vari-X IIs, so even a good-used Leupold is a good buy. If there's a problem, the factory will fix it for free, or send a new scope.

Art

FirstFreedom

I would highly recommend leaving the Leupold VX2 3-9x40mm on the big boomer - it's perfect for that, and a poor choice for a 10/22, without having an adjustable parallax. Further, a higher magnif would be a poor choice for the .300, at least anything beyond 4-12 max. Get a different scope for the 10/22 - what's the purpose of the .22, and what's the budget, then I can tell you more.

But then, my advice doesn't account for aethetics, only function.

BUSTER51

Flame me if you want ,but the L brand is now over priced for what you get .Try a Ziess Conquest (4inch eye relief) 3-9x40 for around $479.00 from The Optic Zone .or if you want to save some money a Nikon monarch,or a Weaver Grand slam . all of these are ruged,super clear and bright and will preform up to or above the L brand in vxII or vxIII.check it out for yourself .:D

I've got a VX-II 2-7X33 on my 300 Weatherby Mag and it does everything I need. It's also nice and light.

maas

i have a leupold m8 6x42mm (thats right straight power) on my .338 wm try www.opticsplanet.com they seem to be the cheapest place on the net for scopes. also they always have deals like free rings, scope covers, ect. and free shipping

maas

oh ya needed to add buster51 my leupold was $263.50 new shipped to my door coated lenses duplex. granted its single power but there usually more expensive

youp

I have a relatively new vxIII in 2.5x8. It sits on a Savage 7 wsm. I have several other Leupold scopes. The vxIII is much nicer than my older Vari X III. I have it in a duplex reticle. I bought a Leupold because it is mostly made in America. I believe that I could add to our national debt and get a resonable facsimile.

Leupold offers a proven lifetime warranty.

Fremmer

The VX III in 3.5-10 x 40. Index matched lens system :). Get the duplex reticle, and use low rings.

Edited to add: but if you can't afford a new scope, just stick the VX II on there; it'll do just fine.