Good keepsake pistol

jetsfan

I have several new pistols and weapons but am looking for something older and more collectible. Especailly something to pass on to my son. He is only a few months old but I want something I can teach him about and pass on to him when he gets older. Also, I would prefer if it were something along the lines of a war weapon. I like the Model 1911 .45's from 1918 but don't know if thats the right thing. If you have any suggestions or ideas I would greatly appreciate it. Let's try to keep in under $2,000 for now though. Also, I am looking at rifles as well but for the sake of this forum I will stick to pistols.

Thanks

HisSoldier

1911, especially if you take the time to educate him about the history of the concept. I saw a 1918 Colt reproduction NIB today in Yuma, $999. I don't know if that's a good price or not. What a nice looking handgun.

IdahoG36

A quality built 1911 is a good handgun to pass down. They will last a long time.
I inherited a S&W model 41 from my great grandfather. He purchased it new in 1960 for $60 at a hardware store. It is in excellent condition.

jetsfan

I like the 1911 platform. I was wanting something older like a 1918 series(just for reference) or something else with history to it. If I go with a newer 1911 what would be a few suggestions of a good model or make to go with?

skeeter1

Wow. The possibilities are many. I like the M9 (Beretta), because I have one. Nobody ever went wrong with a 1911, but I like Colt's the best, even though they've gotten quite expensive. Lugers are great, as are broomhandle Mausers if you can find one in decent shape and at an affordable price.

hamster

i'd get something you really like. if you're a 1911 guy get a real nice one that YOU like. if you like plastic guns, get a nice one. then when your son gets older, and you pass down that gun, a gun that you actually cherished. i think that'd mean more to him some gun you stored away as a really early birthday present. i guess it'd be nice that you thought ahead, but to me a gun that my dad liked would have more sentimental value.

Hawg

What Hamster said. Out of all the guns I got when my dad died the one I cherish most is the one I was forbidden to touch when I was young. I could take any gun in the house out to shoot except his Model 12. He first let me shoot it in a turkey shoot when I was 11 but I never got to shoot it much at all.

Bill DeShivs

Whatever you decide, it might be best to get a model that is close to the original design. 1911s have been "improved" since their debut, but I sincerely doubt that a "tricked out" 1911 will be a classic in 25 years. I think they may be viewed as "quaint," but a military model will always be respected.
If it's an 870, get a basically stock model, not one with all the bells and whistles. Fads come and go, but classic designs will always be classics.

shinnery jim

I`m with Hamster and hawghagan, get one that you like and shoot, it will mean more to your son that way. My most prized gun is an old western Marshall 45 long colt. It was dads pride and joy. doesnt hurt that it shoots better than any other wheel gun I have ever shot. but dad always wanted one and I was able when I got out of high school and got a job, to find one that was cheap enough for me to buy for him. he loved that gun and I am the proud owner of it today. and when I am gone it will go to my son. by the way he loves to shoot it today as much as I do.

D-Bak

Whatever it is shouldn't be determined by anybody but you. My grandpa gave me a High Standard Sport King .22 from 1954. It was his favorite gun and as such has become my favorite. That thing will be with me forever, until I pass it down to my kid. It is just such a great reminder of my Grandpa who meant so much to me. Is it a "classic" or a "legend"???? Not even close. But it is perfect. It represents everything I need it to. Your perfect gun might be a Jennings or a High Point. As long as it means something to you then your kid will cherish it until the day he dies.

tony pasley

I have several family hierloom guns in my collection. My favorites are not the most valuable but the ones with real connection to a family member. My Grandfather shotgun he never left home without. My mothers Browning .25 auto. That connection to who owned the firearm is what makes it special not the cost.

BillCA

Two schools of thought here...

You can buy him a gun specifically to pass along.

or

You can buy one (or a pair) of guns, use one yourself a lot and teach him to shoot with it and then give him the unfired "twin". Let him have your "used" gun when you pass away. Then he'll cherish both.

As to make, model, etc...
Colt Series 70 .45 Automatic (buy a bushing to replace the collet-style bushing though)

Colt 9mm Combat Commander - will be a little more scarce.
CMDR9_2S_1122.jpg

S&W Model 39-2, 9mm Pistol - good balance, very reliable.
M39M_1110.jpg

Browning Hi-Power, 9mm - The original hi-cap parabellum war machine.

Actually, if I were going to do it, I'd look for a used S&W model 1917 .45 ACP revolver for myself and buy him one of the newer ones. Lay in a large supply of moon clips too. These revolvers were specifically made for war and did well both in and after the war.

glockopop

If it were me, I'd get an older S&W revolver. I myself wouldn't get something that's so nice you wouldn't want to shoot it, probably just a 6" M&P or something along those lines.

mountainclmbr

For pistols, a military (US Marked) 1911 would be great. For rifles a M1 Garand or one of the 1903-1903A3 models would be great historical models to pass along.

jetsfan

Some really good suggestions. I am still partial to the earlier 1911. Some of that is due to me loving the design and that I would also like a military weapon with history. I will say though that the idea of getting two pistols is a great ideal as well.

PSP

Two suggestions...one old, one new.
A true American classic The Colt Woodsman. A fine collectable to hand down many generations.

Browning Buckmark. These are exception pistols for very reasonable prices. Buy two...one to teach him on and one to give him on his 21st birthday.

Last edited: