Good Hunting Handguns

Photon Guy

For all around hunting but especially if you're hunting large game I would think if you're bringing a handgun you would want something of a large powerful caliber. This would apply to a handgun that you carry for backup when your primary weapon would be a long gun but it would be especially true if you're hunting with just a handgun in which case the handgun would be your primary weapon. If Im hunting with just a handgun I would want at least a .44 Magnum. As Im a big Ruger fan Im thinking either a Redhawk or a Super Redhawk. I've got both guns and the Super Redhawk seems more suited for hunting while the classic Redhawk seems more suited for personal defense.

Water-Man

They are both well suited for hunting. I used to hunt with both.

The Blackhawk Hunter is no slouch either. I haven't owned one but a friend does.

riverratt

Yes, the super blackhawk hunter is a fine hunting handgun. I own a 7 1/2" bisley. I run a 265 gr powder coated cast bullet out of mine at a hot 1507 fps average velocity, over 10 shots on a hot day. That combination on a good day will hit a gallon milk jug 6 out of 6 times at 200 yards. I have mine topped with a red dot and LOVE it. In my opinion a 44 mag with the right hardcast bullet will quickly bring down any animal in north America, anything above a 44 just adds unnecessary recoil.

979Texas

Love my Glock 20 Gen. 4. It drops big boars past 50 yards with one shot, everything stock. Plus its hard to beat 16 shots, without having to reload, of 200 gr. XTP's pushing 1300 fps, and even more with a longer barrel.

Photon Guy

The blackhawk looks good but I prefer double action when it comes to revolvers. I don't have that much experience with single action only revolvers so I don't know what advantages they would have, if any, over double action revolvers.

jetinteriorguy

If your a handloader, and don't plan on messing with a griz, don't discount a nice M57, .41 Mag. Very accurate and fairly pleasant to shoot and plenty of power. Also available in a Henry Big Boy steel now for a nice pairing.

Cheapshooter

The blackhawk looks good but I prefer double action when it comes to revolvers. I don't have that much experience with single action only revolvers so I don't know what advantages they would have, if any, over double action revolvers.
Quite the opposite, I don't see what advantage a double action revolver has in hunting. Don't know about others, but when hunting I don't play "Quick Draw McGraw" , and blast away repid fire. My Super Blackhawk has been my backup, and sometimes only hunting gun in the deer woods for more than 40 years, and has done fine.
But in the past five or so years, I have had a dedicated hunting handgun. A Thompson Center Contender in 35 Remington. Or if I want to push the range a bit further, I put a 7-30 Waters barrel on it.
That being said, if you already have a Redhawk, and Super Redhawk, chose the one you shoot the best. Don't worry about rattle battle bang, bang, bang DA shooting. Handgun hunting is very much like bowhunting. Hunt smart, and get as close a shot as possible. Take carefull, aimed shots only, and don't try to over extend the capabilities of the caliber you are using.

rob-c

I wanted a SBHH bad but found a smoking deal on a 9.5 barreled SRH, that I love and shoots very well. But I do only shoot it in single action, there's a few things a SRH would have over a SBHH - grip choices , many options for a SRH, scope mounting is over the frame instead of on the barrel and the cylinder is longer for large heavy for caliber bullets . One can't go wrong with one or the other though.

Photon Guy

Quite the opposite, I don't see what advantage a double action revolver has in hunting. Don't know about others, but when hunting I don't play "Quick Draw McGraw" , and blast away repid fire.

The Redhawk and Super Redhawk can be fired single action if desired so you don't have to fire it double action but you do have that option. I just don't see the point in using a gun that can only be fired double action. In the shooting classes I've taken I've always been taught to shoot double action. While it might be more strategic to shoot single action in some hunting situations you can do that with the red hawk. So, I don't see the point in hunting with a DAO gun but I don't see the point in hunting with a gun that can only be fired single action either. I prefer both options.

Dufus

I have hunted with Black Hawk, Super Black Hawk, Super Red Hawk, and S&W M500. All work and all are effective. I have never shot the DA without cocking first while hunting. The reduced trigger pull keeps the shooter on target better, IMO.

44 AMP

Staff
I don't see the point in hunting with a gun that can only be fired single action either. I prefer both options.

You only get both options when using a DA revolver or DA semi auto. The overwhelming majority of hunting guns including virtually all rifles and shotguns are technically fired "single action".

A lot of people hunt with single action handguns, and not all of them are revolvers.

This is also a hunting handgun, and only fires single action.

Another hunting handgun, this one semi auto and single action.

Another semi auto hunting handgun, this one gives you the choice, DA or SA.

I have several others, revolver, autoloader and single shot. NONE of them ever get fired DA (if possible) when hunting. There is simply no reason.

Training that teaches you to shoot a DA revolver DA is "aimed" at defensive use of the gun. It is not the be all, end all method of shooting.

One advantage of DA shooting, speed, is never important when game hunting. It MAY be, if you have to use your handgun defensively, against man or beast, but when actually hunting, it's not.

A DA revolver might be the best choice for you, because of grip shape or other reasons, all perfectly valid. Just don't think the speed of the DA is important in game hunting. It's not.

Just my opinion(s), and worth what you paid for them. :D

Photon Guy

Well interestingly enough the .44 Magnum round was created as a hunting round for large game and there are lots of guns in the .44 Magnum caliber that are DA, as a matter of fact the majority of guns in .44 Magnum are DA. Of course, the use of the .44 Magnum round has expanded beyond hunting, its also used now days for self defense, sports, and target shooting.

Anyway, I had some problems with my Ruger Redhawk. After about 500 rounds the chamber wouldn't close because the ejection rod was not seating properly. I took it to the gunsmith and had a $100 repair job done. Supposedly the problem was quite complicated and the smith had to build a tool to properly perform the repair. I got the gun around Christmas, actually I got it a little bit after Christmas as guns can be hard to get around Christmas if you're not at the front of the line. I just hope I didn't get a lemon of a gun. Ruger Redhawks are supposed to be very reliable and supposedly your grandchild will be putting it in his will but there are exceptions.

Cheapshooter

In the shooting classes I've taken I've always been taught to shoot double action. While it might be more strategic to shoot single action in some hunting situations
Handgun hunting classes? Yes, more strategic in all situations.
Like 44amp said, all hunting rifles, and shotguns are technically single action.
Can you honestly say that you are more accurate with a long, double action trigger pull that takes more pressure, and esentially more "lock" time than a crisp single action trigger?
Unless you are planning to go through the woods like a comando, squeezing off double action shots at fleeing deer, you will be much better off learning well aimed, single action techniques with what ever revolver you use.

bamaranger

DA v. SA

Double action revolver shooting is indeed the preferred technique for SD shooting/combat shooting, which is typically up close, fast and dirty.

However, most all hunting shots are much more precise and deliberate,and ranges are considerably longer. For this, the accuracy afforded by SA is much preferred ALMOST always. A fast second shot might be desirabe on a charging hog for example, and for that a DA shot could be useful.

In a purely hunting handgun, I always figured that one was paying for lockwork and parts you would not use, as hunting shots would always be made SA. And the Blackhawk and Super B's were always a tad cheaper than a DA of comparable quality.

Certainly, DA revolvers are used in handgun hunting, I shot groundhogs with a 6" M27 for several years, but I'd estimate that nearly all are shot at game, SA.

Armybrat

I don't hunt with a handgun, but If I did it would be with my Smith 29:

d5625b2475d17184bd80037d7defdf0f6835637.jpg

But for general hiking & camping I'd tote my Super Blackhawk, as it is a bit handier:

61d1594ede1eb50022d29f6f18d897d449e7fa6.jpg

Nodak1858

I have carried my Ruger BH 45 numerous times. Unfortunately I've only had a chance to shoot at a whitetail once with it. I was in a stand took one shot and missed. But I enjoyed the opportunity for it. I took off the small grip frame and fitted a Super Hunter stainless steel frame to it. It makes for a better grip and I like the two tone look.

buck460XVR

Quite the opposite, I don't see what advantage a double action revolver has in hunting. Don't know about others, but when hunting I don't play "Quick Draw McGraw" , and blast away repid fire. Unless you are planning to go through the woods like a comando, squeezing off double action shots at fleeing deer, you will be much better off learning well aimed, single action techniques with what ever revolver you use.

I remember when I was a kid, the old timers said the same thing about auto-loading rifles and shotguns. As if the firearm itself made a hunter irresponsible. They too made the irresponsible and idiotic assumption that someone with access to a quicker follow up shot, was automatically going to walk thru the woods emptying the gun at every flash of brown. It was not true then and it is not true now. There are just as many irresponsible hunters out there taking poor percentage shots at deer with SA revolvers and Bolt action rifles as the aforementioned, maybe even more, as those firearms are generally cheaper and in many areas, more of them are around.

My first hunting handgun was a three screw SA .44mag Ruger Blackhawk back in the 70s. While it was accurate, it really tore up my hands. I traded it for a SxS grouse gun and went to DA S&Ws and found they fit and felt better in my hands. They still do to this day. That is the main reason I prefer them and find it a very legitimate advantage for me in the woods. At the range and in the woods they get shot 90% of the time in SA. Still, I have the option for a quick follow up shot in DA. That is the true beauty of many DA revolvers, having the option to use either. Folks that like to dis DA revolvers, generally don't have DA revolvers, don't ever shoot in DA if they do, and just don't know how accurate practiced DA shooters are. My youngest son very seldom shoots revolvers in SA. He puts me to shame shooting SA while he shoots DA. I'd put him up against most SA revolver owners here knowing he could probably outshoot them also.

That said, I hunt with revolvers that are generally thought to be "hunting" type handguns. Many are long piped, compensated models with good adjustable sights or optics. I practice long and hard with them and load my own ammo to use in them. My hunting handguns are not a backup to a primary hunting rifle, but my primary and only weapon when hunting. My purpose is the thrill and challenge of taking an animal, cleanly and humanely with a handgun, not just coming home with something in the back of the truck. This is what handgun hunting is all about....not what platform you are using or accusing those that use other platforms as "slob hunters".

tallball

I haven't hunted with a handgun recently, but if I did it would be with one of my long-barreled BH's or my SBH. It's not because they're SA. It's because I am more accurate with them than I am with any of my other handguns.

Pond James Pond

One thing I learnt in my "Desert Eagles. Why?" thread is that they are good hunting handguns by virtue of their calibres and accuracy, provided you find the correct ammunition that the gun likes.

On of those long-slide 10mm 1911s are probably pretty good too....

Cheapshooter

I remember when I was a kid, the old timers said the same thing about auto-loading rifles and shotguns. As if the firearm itself made a hunter irresponsible.
While fortunatly the exception, not the rule, it is tru today as much as then. Only since my state has started a point restriction in some areas have I not heard what sounds like a drive by shooting from the public ground adjacent to my hunting grounds. It's a place not inhabited much by "group" hunters either, so it hasn't been multiple guns firing.