Good holster for CZ 75B?

Xfire68

I am looking for a good holster for my almost new CZ 75B. This will be my first holster so I really don't know what to look for?

I do have a price range but I am open to see what's out there and the options available.

Plastic or leather? Inside the pants or out?

I will mainly be using this for target shooting as we lucky folks in IL are not aloud to venture out with our firearms handy!

I use a safariland paddle holster for my pre b 75 in IDPA usage.
There are so many its near impossible to give any useful advice. Go see and try some on is the best way

dairycreek

I carry my CZ's in either a FIST #1 or one of the kydex holsters by Blade Tech. I am extremely happy with both brands and recommend them highly.

BikerRN

Since holsters are like wives, not every wife is perfect for every man.

I myself like the Kramer IWB #3, but then my wife compliments me well too. The Milt Sparks Watch Six is another one I like. Both are quality holsters that I use and have no problem recommending.

Biker

The Expert

I bought a standard Fobus paddle holster for primary use at the range. Easy on/easy off is nice. No cleaning. Surface wear on the gun is minimal if you clean the holster consistently. Most marks are from the plastic layering onto the gun itself and come off easily when you clean it.

J.T.

It's really a shame that you cannot carry up there. Time to start voting people out until somebody gets it right I guess. Anyway.......... I see no reason to purchase an IWB for range use only. Try to find a pancake holster in your price range, this would also enable you to carry concealed if your laws ever change.

Don Gwinn

Staff Emeritus
FOBUS works and is cheap. The main reason I stopped using them was that I didn't feel very positive re-holstering (which had never bothered me until I shot USPSA for the first time and had to re-holster a loaded Glock--made me nervous.)

I use a Bianchi leather IWB when I carry concealed (in Missouri and other states, obviously) and Blackhawk SERPAs mounted on paddles for competition and open carry (again, obviously, in other states.) The SERPA retains well and the paddle lock placed right where I put my trigger finger anyway, so it was instinctive for me the first time I tried it. I don't know if it works that way for everyone or all hand sizes, obviously, so you'd want to try it. Honestly, the main reason I use the SERPA is that I was given one to evaluate (and keep) during a special event and it was a big improvement over FOBUS. Re-holstering, in particular, feels much more positive and much safer with the SERPA, which is cut at the front to allow you to seat the pistol in the holster first, then rock it back and holster it without looking.

I haven't used some other reputable companies like Blade-Tech, Don Hume, FIST, G-Code or the several dozen others out there. I'd just stay away from cheap junk--Uncle Mike's nylon is the cheapest thing that can be called acceptable, and you probably wouldn't be happy even with that. No soft nylon, no floppy holsters. Think about the level of retention you want beforehand.

Based on what you said you want to do, I'd be looking at outside the waistband holsters for certain and, as a matter of personal preference, paddle holsters make it easier to use a holster at the range when you aren't going to wear it home. Different paddles work differently, though. FOBUS paddles now have soft rubber inserts to grip your pants, and they retain pretty well (certainly you'll never lose one while shooting at the range.) My SERPA paddles have more hooks than a tapework and are very difficult to get out of your pants without undoing your belt and pants in a fairly undignified fashion. On the other hand, the SERPA ships with paddle and belt loops so you can try both, and it also allows you to adjust the angles quite a bit. Several of the best kevlar/kydex/nylon/carbon fiber holsters offer that kind of flexibility; Blade-Tech comes to mind again.

On the other hand, the CZ-75 is a classic and lovely firearm, and nothing is as cool as a leather holster. That's just the way it is. You've had a couple of good recommendations on those already. If you want something extremely comfortable that could be used to conceal under a cover garment in a pinch, I'd look at leather pancake holsters. You have a gazillion options there, though.

So, to sum up, just stay away from:

• Soft nylon holsters.
  • Knockoffs (which are usually soft nylon)
  • Big, soft belt loops that create the floppy holster effect.
  • Cheap belts--good holster on thin, cheap belt equals bad holster.

WESHOOT2

my clones

I wear them OWB in a Milt Sparks 1AT.
I wear them IWB in a Galco.
I mostly carry them concealed in a fanny pack......:eek:

Xfire68

While at Cabelas yesterday I saw a Bianchi leather holster that was for the Browning Hi-Power, 1911 and a few others so thinking that the CZ is supposed to be close to a Hi-Power in looks I asked the sales person to try and put a full size CZ 75B in this holster and it fit just fine! Well at least I have more otions when looking at holsters at the stores!:D