Good gun store in Roanoke, Va?

mtnbkr

I'm from Roanoke and still have family there.

Trader Jerry's has a shop in Salem at 225 West 4th Street. They've been there a couple years, but I just recently found out about them. They frequently hit the gun shows up here, so I see them often. Prices seem ok and the people that run the tables are friendly enough. I've only been to the shop once.

There's Bryansteen's on Peters Creek Rd. They're ok, but their prices are a bit optimistic at times. However, you might find a good deal at times. Their pricing is fairly random that way.

Roanoke Firearms is located at the intersection of Cove Rd and Hershberger, near ValleyView Mall. They seem to have a good selection of handguns.

I've only purchased a gun from Bryansteens and that was 7-8 years ago.

BTW, if you're looking for places to shoot, there's PSS Range & Training at 2203 Shenandoah Valley Avenue. There's a National Forest range off of RT311 past New Castle.

Chris

macmuffy

Roanoke Gun Stores

Double plus for Roanoke Firearms. Long gun selection is not too bad either.
Staff seem to know what is going on and ZERO on the BS.
Prices to me seem to be reasonable.

PS, Welcome to Roanoke. (Discharge of firearms in the city is verboten.)

tackdriver

Wow. German AND doublespeak in one post.

I live within walking distance of Roanoke Firearms and so will give them a try. As far as discharging firearms goes, I won't be doing that unless I'm forced to.

I'm interested in the New Castle range, though. I've been to the one in Blacksburg a few times and appreciate the do-it-yourself nature there. If I want to set up a target at 8.75 yards, I can do it.
Is it the same way at New Castle?

mtnbkr

I live within walking distance of Roanoke Firearms and so will give them a try. As far as discharging firearms goes, I won't be doing that unless I'm forced to.

If you live within walking distance of Roanoke Firearms, you may be forced to discharge your weapon. :eek: :p

I'm interested in the New Castle range, though. I've been to the one in Blacksburg a few times and appreciate the do-it-yourself nature there. If I want to set up a target at 8.75 yards, I can do it.
Is it the same way at New Castle?

Yes. Though the existing target holders (chicken wire running the width of the range) are set at 25, 50, and 100 yards, nothing stops you from putting targets at other distances. It's a National Forest range, so there's very little in the way of facilities and you are your own range officer. I've never personally seen anyone doing anything unsafe, but I've seen the aftermath (bullet holes in benches, etc). People even take full auto stuff up there from time to time.

BTW, during the winter, the weather up there can be quite different than down in the valley. It can be 40 in the valley, yet be 20 and snowing up there. You've been warned. ;).

Chris