Good gun for $300 or less. What to buy?!

Avid Concealer

I just took a friend shooting for the first time out at the range today and now he is in love! He wants to purchase a gun and I have made lots of good recommendations to him but he only has $300 to spend. Lets hear it, what do you guys recommend, lets stick to 9mm because money is a factor here and 9mm ammo is cheap compared to other calibers...no .22's. He asked me about a hi-point and I said HECK NO! haha. Thanks guys

~aC

Juna

Same boat here... Plz send $$ LOL

Well, I'm in the exact same boat, and I'm considering:

Used CZ 75B (can get for around $300ish if you look)
New/used Ruger P95 (can get for a little over $300 new, less used).
EAA Witness
Taurus Millenium Pro PT-111 SSP-12 ($250 new)

Personally, I'd like the CZ 75B. It'll just come down to whether I can find one in my price range when I have the $$ saved up. Sure, I could wait longer and save more up, but I want to get shooting!! :D This'll be my first gun... The Taurus is probably my last choice b/c it's DAO and I'm ideally looking for DA/SA.

Then there's the Mak (but it's 9x18). Also, I saw a Bersa 9mm for under $300 at a local shop. Some will say Hi-Point, but I've never tried one.

Garand Illusion

A Bersa 9mm is just about $300 depending on deal.

I've seen S&W 9mm auto's used in really good shape for well under $300.00. A 5906 is a prettty fine 9mm.

sltintexas

say what you want, but my 2 hi points sure have been problem free....... he could buy the 9mm handgun and the carbine for under $300 (combined) and still have enough $$ to spend on enough ammo to last him a few weeks/months depending on how much he shot.

Last edited:

Rube

I'm very happy with the S&W Sigma I purchased for $300. I also like the looks of the Ruger P94's I've seen for under $300.

tex45acp

Or for about $250-$275 you can have a PT-145 Millennium Pro that holds 10+1 of .45acp and even has a small light rail if you want. Its very accurate and a hoot to shoot. Since it has a polymer frame it is reasonably light and great as a carry weapon. I have about 900 rounds of full bore 230gr. through it without any problems.

Heres mine:

attachment.php

Attachments

• MillProSmall.JPG
    MillProSmall.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 2,200

CajunBass

I like my Hi-Point too, but if he doesn't want one, what I like doesn't matter. The S&W Sigma looks like a good buy. There are Rugers in that price range too.

Wynterbourne

I also like the looks of the Ruger P94's I've seen for under $300.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I like the looks, but they are are tough little buggers. I've seen one report once, some time ago, where someone had loaded and cocked one of the P-series pistols and put it in gravel. They then proceeded to park a Jeep on top of it for several hours. When they removed the Jeep, they drove over it (twice I believe). It was picked up and fired with little drop in accuracy.

Juna

Hi-Point

Hey, I'm not knocking Hi-Points. Been looking for one around here to try out, but can't find 'em. Just said I hadn't tried it.

jononi00

Hey guys, im the guy that Avid Concealer mentioned in the first post. Thanks for all your imput. Im not 100% sure on which gun im going to get, but im going to the gun store tommorow to check out a few. thanks again!

applekev

My first gun was a SW40VE, $299 brand new, NO PROBLEMS, S&W customer service is #1, they WANT to please their customers.

shooter429

A good used gun is an idea, I have found some excellent deals, but without some knowledge/experience that route can be really iffy. I gotta go with the Ruger, new in the box, because they are solid as a rock, reliable and easy to shoot straight, if less than aesthetically beautiful. But for around 300 bucks there are not a lot of choices and Ruger is a good one. I would recommend trying the Sigma BUT the ones I've tried had incredibly rough, heavy triggers-much too heavy to shoot accurately, IMHO. Again, IMHO, I would avoid Taurus like the plague; but some here disagree.

Webleymkv

You've severely limited your selection by saying 9mm only. Lots of other calibers offer ammo for not much more. That said, a used Ruger, Makarov, or If you look really hard a used CZ seems to be what you're after.