good dealers/ccw course in VA?

tackdriver

I turn 21 in May and am itching to buy my first handgun for concealed carry. I was wondering if anyone can recommend a dealer/course around Northern Virginia.

ATM

Lots of courses in the NoVA area. Starting with the NRA, and moving to the ranges in the area. The cheapest course I know of is the Basic Handgun Safety Course taught at Gilberts Small Arms Range (GSAR) in Lorton/Newington. It costs $40.00, which includes everything. Blue Ridge Arsenal in Chantilly also offers a course, as does Shooters Paradise in Woodbridge.
Best dealer is GSAR. Has a good range and knowledgable staff. No B.S. and you get treated like one of the family. Some people have trouble because they try hard to understand your needs and experience before setting you up with a gun. Potomac Arms in Alexandria has the best stock of "weird" guns. Both Blue Ridge and SHooters have ranges, although I have not had good experiences at either.
NRA sponsors IDPA and SASS. The Range (its real name) in Stafford also holds IDPA matches. GSAR sponsors NRA Action, Bullseye, and PPC. Both IPSC and SASS have several (6+) clubs that shoot within 2 hours of the NoVA area. Check with one of the shops for exact details.

Hope this helps, if you want more email me.

------------------
Freedom is not Free

Dogger

For handgun/rifle/shotgun purchase call Bernie at Virginia Arms in Manassas at 703-368-3949. Very reputable and honest and good prices -- his store is a favorite of LEOs and civilians alike. His is my favorite gun shop of all the many in the area. Also look at Clark Brothers out near Warrenton for range time and CCW course. SHop around before you buy. Good luck.

RWK

I second ATM's comments re Gilberts. I shoot there several times every month and find they are first-rate people who are also very knowledgeable, friendly, and helpful.

BlackJack

One of the best CCW courses in Virginia is run by the Personal Protection Institute in Ashland, just north of Richmond. You can contact them for details at gunteach@aol.com which I did to get my kids (No VA residents) trained for the permit. Their instructors are patient experts who will spend time with you teaching you to shoot as well as qualifiying you to carry concealed. They also have a variety of types of fireams and ammunition for you to try out. The whole basic course is about $100 and lasts a day. You only drive about an hour south of Newington and you're there. I'd highly recommend PPI and Tom Crawford, their chief instructor. Good Luck!

Mike in VA

I got a coupe of SIGs at fair prices at Old Towne Armory, but they've closed.

Potomac Arms is OK, but the trick is to find out when they've got a special going (I got my Cougar .45 for $469 when it was the 'gun of teh week').

I've found good prices at Galyan's in Fair Oaks off 66 just past rt. 50. Staff is OK, a couple of them are pretty knowledgable.

I don't much care for Blue Ridge Arsenal. Their gun prices are high, and the few times I was there at the range it didn't seem to be anyone actively monitoring the range. Last time I was there was a family wtih 3 kids in the 8 - 12 y.o. range running amok. Mommy & daddy were absorbed with their new Glock while the kiddies argued over a .22 rifle, pulling it back & forth. I asked the guy behind the desk to send the RSO over, no one showed up, I left.

I go to the Anandale Small Arms Range fairly regularly. It's a little hole-in-the-wall place in the basement of a Korean restraunt, 7 lanes, 50' max., but the owner pretty much knows everybody and stays on top of things. It's 10 minutes from home, so it's easy to slide by and shoot through rush hour. They do CCW, Personal Safety for Women, Tactical Shotgun, etc. classes. I found the CCW class to be fairly perfunctory, but adequate, prices are reasonable. M2

MBG

tackdriver,

Here's my run-down of knowledge for the No VA area;

For guns and supplies, Galyan's, at exit 55 on Rt 66, has excellent prices. They try for a varied selection behind the counter, but they sometimes have supply issues. The staff has always been helpful and knowledgeable with me.

The last time I was in Blue Ridge, they had no new weapons, just used and supplies. I don't know if that is the norm for them. The prices were fairly excessive.

There is a pawnshop on Lee Highway and Spout Run in Arlington with a gun counter. (The only shop in Arlington.) Their prices were surprisingly reasonable, but the selection is somewhat limited.

There is also another shop on Rt. 50 in Fairfax (I don't recall the name) but I can never make it by when they are open. A friend of mine stopped in a few months ago, however, and was fairly impressed. I have also heard good things about VA Arms in Manassas, but have not made it in, yet.

On the other hand, I have had mixed reviews on Shooters Paradise, on Rt. 1 in Woodbridge, but I don’t' have direct experience with them.

One thing to consider when purchasing in No VA, is the county level restrictions. Fairfax has a 4 day wait, and Arlington has to be approved by the local PD. (This is according to a gent at the gun counter in the pawnshop. I have not purchased in Arlington, so I don't know any specifics on the wait or process.) Alexandria might have some of the same. If you don't want to deal with the extra paperwork, a trip out to Clark's Brothers, or a road trip to Green Top might be worth your time.

There is also a C&E show in Richmond, at The Showplace, on May 20 and 21. It's only a 2 hour drive, so you might want to pick up a birthday present for yourself there.

As for shooting ranges, I shoot at Anandale Small Arms, and the NRA range. Both offer CCW classes, as well as other forms of training. I'm looking to take a CCW class this spring, but have not decided where, yet.

BTW, Anandale, from what I understand, is the only publicly available range within the DC beltway. They are grandfathered in, and Alexandria County wants them out. That alone is a reason to go spend a few hours there.

Hope this helps,

Marty