Good Deal?

Gahaha

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/686033825

Not sure why no one bidded on this, for 469 seemed like a steal for a chrome HP in good condition, especially when there were similar surplus HP on GB for similar price and they were in worse conditions.

EDIT: The gun was in immaculate condition, finish is great, very little scratches. It does not look like it was refinished. Shoots to point of aim and almost as precise as my Mark III.

Apparently I cannot post pictures here...requires URL

Last edited:

damienph

So did you end up getting it for $469? Even of it is an "aftermarket refinished surplus Hi-Power" what ever the heck that is supposed to imply.... it looks good in the one pic from the auction site. I have two Hi-Powers and they are good shooters and very high quality pistols. I would have gladly paid that even for one that has been refinished.

damienph

Looking back through the auction site, I see that there are several pictures. That is one good looking pistol. Who ever refinished it did a good job. I think that you got a heck of a deal and hope that you enjoy it. I know that I would.

Gahaha

That's why I am kind of skeptical, seems too good to be true.

The shop is Jim's Firearm of Florida, supposedly they are also sending me a shirt too.

roashooter

will this be your first Browning HP?,,,,if so...you will prolly like it much more after changing the grip panels...looks like factory block panels on it now...so many other grips will make it feel much much better in the hand....I have three BHPs

arquebus357

Actually, when they say "silver" I believe they are talking about the color. That looks very much like the color of chrome to me. Nickel has a slight yellow cast.

I'm not an auction person bit if I saw it in a local gun store, I would been happy tp pay a lot more than you did. Good job..

burrhead

A lot of it depends on your location. Assuming you end up paying about $515 +/- by time it's in your hands and the refinish is very good in person and there's nothing mechanically wrong with it, I'd say you did OK. You didn't win the lottery but didn't get burned.

jonnyc

Sorry, I think you paid too much for an obviously refinished BHP. My first thought was what were they trying to hide. Probably a good shooter, but about $100 too high for what I've seen and bought. Currently the owner of 7 HPs, all that price or significantly lower.

Gahaha

It is not refinished, I passed this off to a gunsmith at the range to inspect as well as other people, no one yet thinks it is refinished.

jonnyc

I believe that the "245" is a military contract code, and I'm pretty sure Interarms of TX was a surplus importer.
I could be wrong, but that's what I'm going with.

WVsig

The gun is a contract that was brought in by Interarms a secondary importer. What is the date code of the pistol? If you post that it would help determine if the hard chrome finish is original or is a refinish. Either way the guns finish has been altered. The flats have been polished. The factory chromed BHPs did not have polished flats. The small sight and thumb safety all scream 1980s to early 1990s contract gun.

If you most more details pics of proof marks, datte codes on the firing pin tunnel I or other people who know can tell you more.

In the end you got a decent looking pistol at a decent price. Enjoy it.