Good deal on a 1980s 686?

Deegle

A friend of mine is selling his S&W 686 6" for $350. I examined it thoroughly. Locks up super tight. The trigger is smooth as butter. Needs cleaned, but overall, does not appear to have been shot very much. No blemishes other than some scuffs on the bottom of the square wood grips. He used it as his truck gun - probably since the 1980s. I haven't spent too much time in the revolver world, so I just wanted to make sure this was a fair price for the gun. It isn't a gun I need, as I have an M&P in 40 which serves as a HD, hiking gun. However, I have always wanted a big revovler for the collection. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Last edited:

spacecoast

Just as a point of comparison, I paid $475 for my 686-4 (1994) model about a month ago, which was about $100 less than a new 6" Ruger GP-100. It sounds like a very good deal to me. If it's not a "dash-something" model, you want to make sure it has the M designation engraved next to the model #, meaning that it was corrected for an early manufacturing problem.

madcratebuilder

That was a steal, should be a $450 revolver with out question. Don't let the recall scare you off. It has to do with the firing pin bushing and it effects very few revolvers. It's not something that well suddenly break. Neither of my 686's has had the recall done and they are just fine.

Deegle

Thanks all. I'm buying it. Actually, turns out we're making a trade, lots of old cigars and some shotgun ammo for the 686. My contribution is $350 worth of stuff. Worked out well. I'll post pics when I can. Thanks!

roaddog28

I paid at the first of the year $399.00 for a 686-4 4 inch. If it is in good condition buy it. In California 686s are going for $500 to $600.

roaddog28

bdb benzino

I recently bought a S&W 686-6 4'' 7 shot and I absolutely love it!! The single action trigger is amazing and the pistol it self is super accurate.:D I got this to replace an older 686 6 shot that my father had given me, that I foolishly lost a couple years ago. But with the extra round I find it to be the perfect compromise for an equal replacement. The pistol is very smooth handling and the DA pull is very serviceable.

Hommbs

Great price on a great gun.

The "m" modification had something to do with them swapping out the firing pin bushing. I think there was a geometry issue with the non "m" bushing causing the primers to flow into it and causing the cylinder to either lock up or turn roughly. Never had any issue with mine but sent it in anyway for the mod.

fyimo

Around here they go for $450 to $500 so buy it. If it's a 686 no dash a or -1 then it's one included in the recall. If it's been repaired the M will be on the crane when the cylinder is open. The repair is still be honored by S&W so if you buy it and you are going to shoot lots of full house 357 loads I'd call customer service and set up sending it in as they will send you a pre paid shipping voucher. I have a 686 and a 585 no dash and neither one has been modified by S&W and I’m thinking of sending them in for service. I’ve never experienced the problem yet but I was with a friend at the range once when his did. You can’t open the cylinder or shoot as the gun locks up.

gb_in_ga

The "m" modification had something to do with them swapping out the firing pin bushing. I think there was a geometry issue with the non "m" bushing causing the primers to flow into it and causing the cylinder to either lock up or turn roughly. Never had any issue with mine but sent it in anyway for the mod.
Yep, it had to do with the firing pin bushing. It applies to the no-dash and -1 models, IIRC. Also, it turns out that not all of them were bad to start with. My 4" 686 no-dash has not had the "M" modification and has never had any problems. Some do and some don't. If you shoot yours a lot, including at least some with full strength loads, and don't have issues then yours probably isn't one of the bad ones and you can just use it with confidence (like I do). If not, you can send it in to S&W and they'll apply the "M" mod to it.

BTW -- that's a great price. Snap it up quick.