Good deal? Not a good deal?

govmule84

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/pre-1898-mauser-rifles.aspx?a=532481

I can get one of these through the mail?!

Is this a good buy, or a rook? And is this a desirable Mauser? I know there are quite a few styles of Mauser, and I wouldn't want to get taken...

And which caliber would be the more desirable? I would assume .308 would be a bit easier to find....I was hoping to buy something like this and sporterize the bejesus out of it...remove the handguard, refinish the stock, and go shooting.

Any thoughts?

TriumphGuy

I've been on the edge about nabbing one of those as well. I'm wondering how a 100 year old rifle wound up chambered in .308 though.

TriumphGuy

I'm thinking that for the price, the money is better spent on one of the VZ-24's floating around the surplus sites. A 100 year old rifle is cool any day of the week, but these seem like they're likely to be a bit clapped out.

fyimo

They can be fun to shoot but if it's rebarreled the accuracy could really be hit or miss. If it wasn't rebarreled then the barrel could be shot out or pitted because back in those days they used very corresive primers and powder. I'd opt for something newer or even a Russian Bolt action in 7.62X54 as my local gunsmith has been getting some in that are accurate and cost less then $150.

bobn

on its best day ever a russian rifle would not make a wart on a lowe manufactored mauser. however i would have no idea of the real condition of the rifles sportsmans would have. just my humble opinion. ....of all the mausers i have ever played with the chileans are the nicest. match or surpass the swedes. they do not have the safety lug the 98s, so the loads must be held down in pressure. bobn

10-96

I might recommend running this by the guys in the Smithy section. I recall GunSmith Frank Shipley telling me that 95 Mausers are small ring and not ideal for modern pressures.

Gav-n-Tn

If you had a chance to hand pick one that could be a really stinking good buy. Not knowing what you'd have until you got it might be a little risky. The .308 would be my choice of the two without a doubt. Put a little more money with that and you end up with ???????? www.southernoutdoorlife.com