Good day with the 22/45

GarandTd

I have been having a great time with my Ruger Mark III 22/45 lately. Today was just another excellent range session.

Both targets pictured below were 20 rounds shot at 25 yards. The left was standing unsupported, the right off the bench. It was pretty windy.

Attachments

• rps20200519_224138_483.jpg
    rps20200519_224138_483.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 130

rock185

Fun little guns. I've had a similar, but older, 22/45 for quite a few years now.

Attachments

• Ruger 22-45 (1).JPG
    Ruger 22-45 (1).JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 65

Hal

Yep fun little guns. I have two of them.
I've mentioned it before about the number of rounds I shot through the first.
I ran over 100,000 rounds through it the year I bought it.

Probably 90% or more were Remington Thunderbolts.
I don't recall having any problems with them - other than they shot real filthy.

GarandTd

Here's another 25 yard target shot from the bench. It was 1 magazine. 9 shot ragged hole and 1 flyer. It was probably my best yet with this pistol.

Attachments

• rps20200520_113723_178.jpg
    rps20200520_113723_178.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 66

Adventurer 2

I have shot thousands and thousands of all brands of 22LRs through 3 Ruger MK pistols - on everyone my sights shot loose and since I’ve blue loctited the sight screws front and back. A Mark whatever version would be the first 22LR I would recommend to anyone.

AzShooter

6JMIr8fl.jpg

I really like your groups. You are doing well. Even off hand.

One of my favorites, The Mark IV 22/45 Lite with a C-More sight on it. It's a tack driver. I use it for Steel Challenge shooting so I don't do much paper punching with it but when I do I'm very impressed.

I gave my Mark III 22/45 to my son. He's enjoying it now and wants to come out to our next Steel Challenge match once the range is open again.

GarandTd

I had a fiber optic front sight for a while, but it kept coming loose, even with loctite, so I returned it to stock. Oddly, the stock front sight has never come loose, before or now. The rear sight has never given me problems.

I had made several modifications to the pistol including an aftermarket hammer bushing, loaded chamber indicator delete, and the front sight, but after too many issues with reliability, I have returned it to stock. The only acception is the red dot on top.

If I want to hit my target at any distance with a pistol, the Ruger 22/45 is the one to get it done.

Last edited:

GarandTd

Thanks AzShooter! I was happy to get all offhand shots onto the plate into something that represents a group, even if a large group.

GarandTd

Is there a bad day with a 22/45?
Yes, it's possible. With the TK hammer bushing, every range trip with the 22/45 was a bad day with jams every couple of rounds. In stock form, it is performing admirably.

GLK

A very early model if not one of the first run MK-II 22-45's, completely stock. It has a glass smooth action from tens of thousands of rd's through it. All I ever had to do was replace the firing pin at about two month old mark(It broke in half & Ruger mailed a new one right out). With my old stash of Win PowerPoint ammo it is still the most accurate 22LR handgun I own. Once they added a loaded chamber indicator I knew I was keeping this one.
DSC01529_1.JPG

Last edited:

Kreyzhorse

Just took my friend's new 2245 out this weekend. Damn impressive, accurate guns. If I were to replace my Buckmark, the Ruger would be hard to pass up.

Armorer 101

The 22/45 lite with a Voquartzen trigger and spring kit set is pretty nice. I built one brand new for my daughter in-law as a house gun when my son was being deployed month after month, until he retired. Very good gun for a lady in a house, if needed in a pinch.

ilmonster

I too have a MK III 22/45 I love. Mine has a TRS red dot mounted and a Volquartsen sear. I used it this past winter to get the top rimfire spot in my local 25 yd. bullseye league. Great guns!

jman841

I have a Mark 3 22/45 as well, love it! I have yet to put a red dot on it yet. I just ordered the hogue grips and new trigger for it to try out. I probably will hold off on the red dot though.

GarandTd

Some great examples. I like how everyone's are a little different. Gnystrom, I'm jealous of that grip frame. I looked at those frames, but they were more $ than what I paid for the pistol.

Mike38

They sure are fun little pistols. I bought a MkII 22/45 about 21 years ago. A guy I know was hurting for cash and had to sell it. I gave him $150 for the pistol and five magazines. 21 years, and probably 21K rounds later, and it's still working great. I did give it a "tune up" a couple years ago, all new springs, extractor and guide rod. Not bad for the money.

jman841

The one thing I don't like about my Mark III 22/45 is the grips on it, I ordered some hogue replacements, but just realized mine is the non-changable grip version.

Does anyone know if it's possible top purchase just a new lower with the changable grips? The lower is not serialized so I don't see why it would be any issue.