Good day at the range

velocette

By gosh I really like rifle shooting folks that don't reload!
Went to my local municipal range today & spent 4 hours of success, sighting in and utter failure. The good easily overshadowed the failure.
Tried a new prone position, using a small rest and then my fist under the butt of my Anschutz .22 and the LR .308 DPMS. Both are fitted with a bipod, the Annie intended to nearly replicate the DPMS inweight, shape & feel @ 4 cents a shot vs .50 cents for practice. That was the success. My groups with both shrank noticably.
I had also just installed a Bar-Sto barrel in my Browning Hi-Power .40 S&W. After a few trys, it was returned to its case for further work. That was the failure. The Ruger Bisley .45 Colt did it's usual good job in putting a smile on my face. What a great revolver to shoot for fun!
And the crowning touch. A whole bunch of folks were banging away with their 30-06 rifles and others with their .308s. NONE of them were reloaders and I was the only reloader on the line at the time. Hooo boy, I came home with well over a hundred new once fired commercial cases. Manna from heaven to this reloader. They will be put to good use and use and use and use. My Garand thanks them, my LR 308 thanks them and the bullet manufacturers thank them.
Another good thing was proved today. Nosler 168 grain HPBT match bullets in my .308 shoot as well as the Sierra 168 HPBT match bullets at 25% less cost. Now that's a good thing. Interesting that they shoot to exactly the same point of aim as the Sierras. The first 3 rounds were dead center bull and 3/8" group. After that I helped the group grow. I think I will go and order a bunch more right now, so I can keep the low price offer from Midway.

Happy days and Xs

Roger

snipecatcher

I had a pretty crappy range day, mostly due to living in Corpus Christi, Texas and its God-awful wind. My chronograph got blown over after only a couple readings, and it was too windy to test for accuracy, as I couldn't even hold the gun steady with a bipod in the front and sandbag in the rear. Also, I found out that of the 19 rounds I just pulled and reloaded with a reduced charge in my .270, I still have to pull several of them, as Varget is not a good powder for 100 grain HP's. Oh well, it was better than a day of not shooting.
-Dan

TheManHimself

Last time I went to the range, after the 45 minute drive there, I realized I forgot the .30-30 and 12 gauge ammunition. Annoying because I had intended to zero the new Aimpoint T1s on those two guns, but had a decent time with the other three rifles and one pistol anyway.

JWT

Agree with sc928porsche - have never had a 'bad' day at the range. Shoot better some days than others but they're all good IMO.

LateNightFlight

I've had a few bad days at the range. My worst day at the range my gun was stolen. Now THAT's a bad day!

Call me a pessimist, but after 29 years I'm beginning to have doubts it will ever be recovered.

Telgriff

I seem to have good and bad days also.
Seem to suffer from the psyche out problem of making 5 nice shots, but the next set on the new targets are always worse..