Good Day at the Auction (I think)

Uncle Buck

The better half and I went to an auction today and poking around in the stuff I saw a couple of boxes of brass shells.

When they came up for bid, I got both boxes for $10.00. I went through them when I got home and this is what I found:

38-40 - Winchester: 50 cases total. Two are still loaded with a 180 grain soft point (That's what is says on the box :))

.44 Mag - Remington: 21 cases total, eight cartridges still loaded with a jacketed hollow point (High Shock).

.38 Special - Western: 49 cases total. They are nickel plated.

.243 - Federal: 20 Cases Total. Ten still loaded with a 100 grain boat-tail soft point bullet. (The box is marked $9.50)

.30-30 - Winchester: 36 cases.

.30-06: 200+ cases. There is a mix of brass here. I do not know how much of what I actually have, I stopped counting at 200 empty cases. The head stamps are: Super Speed 30 g 1906
OJP III 60
WW Super 30-06 SPRG
H DWM A .30.60
R.P SPRG 30-06
FC SPRG 30-06

Two metallic clips for the M-1

10 blank rounds for the M-1 (I used the same type of round while serving on the Military Funeral Honers Team)

A full box of 20 gauge shells, three full boxes of 12 gauge shells. and a bag of loose shotgun shells, including some paper one.

A bag of mini-balls and two small bags of shot for reloading shotgun shells. (Not sure of the size of any of this stuff.)

When I finished sorting everything, I had to grab the reloading manual and look up the 38-40. It is an interesting shell and I do not know what I am going to do with them yet. The box looks nice sitting on my shelf though.

I am wanting to get an M-1, so I figured the 30-06 shells will come in handy. I am a happy camper.

Hardcase

The .38-40 is definitely a funky cartridge. It's a necked-down .44-40 (if I'm thinking clearly...) My Colt Lightning is chambered in .38-40 and, for some reason, the first models of that rifle manhandle the brass like nobody's business. The top ejection port is shaped just like the silhouette of the case, but just a little on the short side, so the mouth is just about smashed flat when it pops out.

Kinda tough for me to reload - the cases don't last too long because the brass is pretty thin and since the rifle mistreats them so badly, the mouth cracks after a few firings. But it's a fun round to shoot because there's next to no recoil in a rifle and it's pretty accurate, out to a hundred yards or so. I imagine that it would be a good handgun round, too.

I'd say that you did pretty doggone good at the auction.